Thursday 25 April 2013

Heading West

Monday: Black Valley - Glencar

Did my first complete solo stage today. Yesterday was just a warm up. Since the bed at the hostel was way too soft I had slept on the floor next to it on my ground pad, haha. Otherwise I can highly recommend staying there. Everything was renovated last winter so the whole building as well as showers etc looks brand new.
Went west to the end of Black Valley and climbed Bridia Pass. Despite the low hanging clouds and an occasional drizzle the view from the top into the valley was very nice. Just at the bottom is the Stepping Stone B&B which also offers refreshments at the cafe at the back of the house.
Had a big bowl of tea and  a piece of carrot cake as well as a nice chat with the owners. Since my knees were starting to hurt again from the strenuous decent down Bridia Pass I considered staying on the road and skipping the next pass. But the sky was clearinmg with more and more patches of blue and the sun breaking through the clouds. So I thought I'd better take the pass lest I'd regret it later.
Going up the "Lack Road" was quite easy. Unlike up Bridia Pass where I had met my first propper boghole that took my right leg in halfway to the knee the path was clearly visible and not boggy at all.
The sun and the decent made me sweat like hell all geared up for rain and such. Up on the pass the view was awsome again. Caher looming to the right its top hidden in clouds and Skregmor behind him. Going down proved to be more strenuous than going up as I expected. My knees were not so happy about the stony wet path leading down.
Still I made it down, got rid of my rain gear and continued on the now improving path along a river. Went around Lough Acoose in bright sunshine now.  The lake, the near Reeks and the lower mountains in the distance made for a great scenery!
The last 4km on the road eventually ended at today's destination: the Climber's Inn at Glencar. It's a very famous hostel for climbers but I'm a little disappointed about the facilities. It's 25 eur (10 more than the superb hostel at Black Valley) and the shower is a bit run down, the dorm has no hangers and no windows, the kitchen is only moderately equipped and most unusual of all: no wifi!
Glencar seems to be consisting only of a few farm houses and the Climber's which also houses the post office and a shop. I will stay here for two nights anyway since I want to climb Carauntoohill tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.