Saturday 27 April 2013

Katja 1, Irish Weathergod 0

Friday : Cahersiveen - Waterville

Unfortunately the boats for Skellig Michael didn't go today so I chancelled that and instead went to Waterville a day earlier. This was going to be the longest stage on the Kerry Way.
Refreshed from last day's relaxed cycling I walked the first third on a quiet road and so did a little shortcut cutting the distance from 31km to roughly 27km. Then went along the ridge of three hills on a narrow path. The view in all directions was overwhelming. Luckily I could easily make out the next showers coming in far before they hit me. Ha!
Reached the post office of Mastergeehy right on schedult at 1:30. Cool. Thought the toughest bit was behind me. Now only two lower hills ahead and I would be in Waterville.
How could I be so wrong! The following four (!) hours I was ploughing through deep mud and patches of don't-know-how-deep-and-don't-want-find-out-waterholes. But that would've been to easy. Galeforce winds were trying to blow me away and shove me into the deep mud while I was balancing on slick stones. After three hours I didn't care anymore about the unbelievable view of Lough Courrane and Waterville ahead. I didn't care about my hurting knee and just kept going. Changed now from the state of annoyance into defiance. The next shower came rolling in. With a grim expression on my face I didn't even bother getting my rain on again. I was just sick of it all.
Eventually I decended into Waterville. Completely exhausted I stumbled into the supermarket, got myself some food for later and a cider. F... you Irish Weathergod! It takes a lot more to make me falter, haha.
Checked in at Peter's very cosy hostel and chatted with a German guest and our host until as late as 11:30. His place is really nice and Peter is a funny guy with an endless reservoir of stories that he tell in a very entertaining manner. Highly recommendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.