Friday 27 September 2013

A Stroll With Friends

Day 4 - Sunday
24km
I wanted to meet up today with my two friends again and walk the next stage together. Since I didn't make it to the other shore of the Elbe and into Schöna yesterday we agreed to meet at the ferry.
I still felt very stiff and aching when I got up. Even the two meters from my bed to the bathroom were hard labour. Managed to get to the room where breakfast was served just to have a look and maybe get an egg and some fruit. I didn't expect much. What I got was one of the best budget accomodation breakfast buffets ever that could easily keep up with good hotel buffets. The room was very comfortable and the buffet was laid out in a cupboard and on a side table, very nice idea if you lack space. For me as a low carber there was plenty of choice from a big bowl of eggs, fruit, organic joghurt to cheese, salami and homemade saxon cheese salad. Wow!
Stuffed in as much as I could and snug out an apple for later before I left the B&B and headed over to the ferry. The man operating the 90-year-old ship was quite unique with his scarred face and strange remarks, but I suppose working for years on a ferry going back and forth just a few dozen meters to the other shore all day long  makes you a little weird.
Decided to start going straight away and meet my friends on the way. Of course there was a steep climb with a lot of steps immeditely getting the sweat running again. Knees and legs felt okay as soon as I was rolling again.
Met my friends at the top of the climb and told them just what I had spared them by my head start. Walked through deserted Schöna and along some fields before we had a beer and a Soljanka outside a nice restaurant near a stream. The path kept on going through some woods and along more fields. My friends had brought a friend who wanted to carry my backpack just to see how that felt since her and the others were equipped with daypacks. Gladly I gave it to her! Maybe that's cheating but how could I turn down that offer, hehe.


 

no view

Until afternoon the going was quite okay with just minor climbs. Quite a difference to he day before. I deemed myself lucky right when we had to get to the top of another one of those huge sandrock pillars. My backpack was then taken over by the guy in our group, hehe. Up we went, enjoyed the almost non-existent view due to heavy fog and climbed down again. Had a picknick on a bench and then left the trail to walk into Gohrisch.
As soon as I had said goodbye to my friends rain set in and I headed over to the campingsite. Out of the few I've seen within the last days this one was easily the best and I can only recommend it. With 10 Euros not the cheapest but the ground was level and spaces were divided by bushes, there was a pool, a playground and a restaurant. Pitched my tent, had a nice short, hot shower and headed over to the restaurant to finally have the Schnitzel I've been craving for all day and that was denied to me yesterday.
Hit the sack quite early after reading for a bit since I wanted to get going as soons as 8am tomorrow for my final stage of the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.