Tuesday 10 September 2013

Getting ready for Saxony

Interesting how this year is just flying by. My mind, body and equipment just go from one holiday to another and my friends just wonder how much annual leave I have since I seem to be away all the time. The magic is actually no magic at all. Due to my part time job and some occasional weekend shifts I have sometimes a few days off around a free weekend that easily count up to 4 or 5 which makes for a nice short trip without spending any of my precious holidays.

A nice side effect is my much improved fitness. I've always been fit but never really pushing it. With some high altitude hiking and expeditions on my list for the next few years (Aconcagua being the ultimate goal for me) I want to be in the best shape. I think I am now at maybe 60% of what I can be. This figure may seem quite low for my not-so-fit friends but I think it's only realistic.

The two-day-cycle was a good test for me. 230km in two days were not really a challenge for my stamina, but more for my knees and Achilles tendon, hehe. This is something only a few of my friends would be able to do so I'm on a good way.
The next challenge will be the completion of the "Malerweg". A scenic 112km trail around the famous "Sächsische Schweiz" national reserve in Saxony with quite a few ascends and descends. It's normally done in 8 stages for the average weekend stroller. I will do it in 5 starting the day after tomorrow.

Already laid out all the things I'm going to take with me which was quite easy after my Ireland trip. Packing has actually become a routine. I know what I need and what I don't need and how to stuff it into my backpack.
The whole trip is a test in the field for my new Hilleberg Soulo tent. Normally I would take the much lighter TerraNova because taking the Soulo is like taking a Ferrari to get some groceries. But as this is just a short trip I don't mind the extra weight of my new aquisition and just can't wait for my first night sleeping in this beauty.

Hilleberg Soulo - first pitch in the backyard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.