Thursday 25 April 2013

Not so much disappointment

Tuesday: Coomloughra Horseshoe?

Headed off to go hillwalking today. Went up the Hydro Road towards Coomloughra Lake which is surrounded by four of the highest mountains of Ireland including the highest: Carauntoohill. He weather was said to be good today. When I reached the entrance of the narrow valley at about 500m the clouds were still hanging very low hiding all the surrounding mountains almost completely. Shit. Went up the western slope of Caher anyway but turned back at the hight of 700m as I couldn't see much.
If I wasn't alone I would've kept on going since the ascent is fairly easy. But in those thick clouds and all by myself I turned back. I'm still too unexperienced and there have been a few deaths recently in these mountains and I didn't want to add to their number.
Instead I went around the north side of the lake and had a short break at its shore. There was a complete silence apart from the rushing of a small river. With those clouds an almost ghostly atmosphere. Went back and descended on the Hydro Road with beautiful views up to Dingle bay and even Dingle. The further I went down, the better the weather got. Looking back the peaks remained hidden.
Streched on a dry patch of grass and had a nap in the sun. Awsome! With only a faint breeze blowing I could've stayed hours. Still I walked slowly home and just when I was down at the road again the sky had cleared and the summits could be seen. Damn. I was just 3 hours too early up there. I considered to go back up but somehow my spirit was defeated when I had decided not to advance to the summit.
So I just enjoyed a long walk in the sun getting my ears burned! In 35 years I had not achieved that yet. Haha. Back at the hostel just relaxed, read some and made dinner.
Even if I did not make it to the top of Caher and Carauntoohill and even Beenkeragh doing the whole horseshoe loop I still had a good day and was really tired when I got back.
The Climber's Inn seems to have the same bunks the hostel at Black Valley has. The mattress is way to soft. So I inflated my ground pad and slept on the floor, haha. I am the only one here luckily.  That must be a sight: me sleeping on the ground in a dorm room with 8 beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.