Sunday 29 September 2013

Bristol - Saturday

Arrived as late as 21:40 but it went all so smoothly at the airport - got off the plane, no queue at border control, picked up my luggage as soon as I got to baggage claim and the bus shuttle to the city was just next to the exit and fired up its engine not five minuted after I got on. Then it was only a 10 minute walk to the Backpackers Hostel.
The guy at the reception was really very nice and forthcoming, the hostel is clean where it counts and if you close the windows the noise from the street and partying people is almost completely shut out.
Therfore, slept quite well,  stored my luggage in a separate room and took only my backpack with a few things since I will return on Sunday anyway.

Had a mediorce English breakfast around the corner and a big mug of great cappucino before I had a look at St. Nicholas market not quite five minutes away from the hostel. Most of the stalls are inside so I could void the rain had set in. Had a very nice chat with a lady selling jewelry and bought two sets of earrings. Very nice. Got myself a big package of rich organic drinking chocolate from a chocolate shop and walked south and east to the Bristol cathedral. I have absolutely nothing to do with religion but I love being in churches marvelling at the architecture with its symetric structures, high ceilings and intricate carvings. I like especially the British churches and the Bristol cathedral is a very typical British one, worth a visit.
Despite the rainy weather with mild rain setting in time and again I climbed Brandon Hill and the Cabot Tower on top to have a look at the city from probably the highest point. As I got out of the tower I saw a man leaving who had just fed some pigeons and squirrels. Though he was gone creatures lingered on fighting over the last crumbs and I stood a while watching those cute little hectic squirrels. Awwwwwwwww.
Walked along the waterfront to the Clifton Suspension Bridge, then back into the city centre, passing by the museums and the crowded shopping area. As I was wondering if there was a Cotsworld shop in Bristol I just saw the sign for one. Yeah! The famous Cotsworld outdoor shops. Spend a while in there checking on some backpacks that I'm interested in but not being sold in Germany. It's always god to have a look at the size and fitting. My old favourite Osprey Talon 33 made it back to position 1 on my wishlist after having a good look at it. Also wanted to see some ice axes but they were displayed behind the cash counter and I didn't really want to end up in a talk with a shop assistant and then buying one after in the end without really having the money to afford it at this point.
Wanted to have a look at St. Peter's Church nearby but the place was occupied by some open air reggae festival. Went straight to St Mary Redcliffe next and really loved it. With the nave being a bit narrow compared to the cathedral the ceiling seemed to be even higher. A very beautiful gothic church with marvellous carvings.
Queen Square was next which was... well... a square covered in grass. Hm. Checked out The Apple next, a famous cider bar on a boat. I LOVE cider. Geeeee... this is my place! Ordered a Red Cheddar draught and the guy at the bar asked me if I wanted to taste it first cause it's quite "rough". Uh huh... dunno what's rough about it and got my pint, haha. Got a Weston's Wyld Wood next. I think I've had Weston's before.  Very tasty. Stopped by the PMT music shop on my way to my accomodation for tonight to check out their accoustic guitar section very nice! Taylors, Martins, Gibsons and Larivees. Will go there tomorrow and see if they let me play some, hehe.
Walked up Cheltenham and then Gloucester Road closing in to my accomodation looking out for a nice pub to have some food. Couldn't pass by the Hobgoblin. Whenever I read "Hobgoblin" I have to think of "Baldur's Gate", haha. Had some Thatchers draught cider and a Mestopholis burger before I continued to walk to my accomodation.
Took me only a few minutes since the house was in a small road off Gloucester Rd. The hosting family was very very nice and I retired to my lovely room immediately being very tired. Watched some tv and just fell asleep pretty soon.

Recommendations from day 1:

Cabot Tower on Brandon Hill
St Mary Redcliffe
The Apple if you like cider
The Hobgoblin - pub with amazing food
Staying with Sonia and her family (37 Eur incl breakfast, Manor Rd, book via AirBnB.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.