Saturday 29 December 2012

A Czech Munro

Today was supposed to be the first day of skiing so I went to the rental and got myself shoes and cross country skis. It's a weird feeling not understanding a word anywhere. I go to the British Isles at least twice a year and feel so at ease there since I understand everything. But here every sign is in Czech and the people speak only a few words German or English - a lot of them not even that.
Still we're getting along anyway. I have to be better prepared next time and learn a few phrases of Czech. Looked up the word for "Thank you" and keep forgetting it time and again, hahaha.

Anyway, as it was simply crazy at the center of our "Ski Resort" with the rental and the lifts etc. we decided to drive the car up to another parking area and go from there. To tell a long story short: We walked up to the top of Cerna Hora which is at 1299m and therefore in my terms a Czech Munro, hehe.
Started off at 700m on a broad path so in no way comparable to what I'm used to.


We simply didn't go on our skis as it was nevertheless quite steep and the snow a bit icy. We put on the skis for a short while but the going was too strenuous and after slipping for the hundredth time we just walked up.
On the top the view was beautiful to say the least. With the blue sky and clouds or mist down in the valleys I could've been looking down for hours marvelling at the scenery.


Yet we tried some of the ski trails up there. It's been ages since I stood on skis but it took only a short time to get a decent flow into my movements. Still I don't think the classic style is mine. Just decided to get myself a pair of skating skis at the coming winter sale.

The steep climb took its toll as my dad was tiring more and more soon after midday so we went down the slope back to the car and off to our home to change before we went out for food.
Basically hit the second restaurant we came across although it looked more like a cafe. But the menu sounded promising. Got myself a beer and simply the BEST rump-steak I ever had!!! Some green beens with A LOT of garlic on the side and afterwards a very decent cappuccino. Jackpot! My dad was licking his fingers as well so no question where we'll head to tomorrow afternoon, hehe.

As it is only 6pm I'm going to play some guitar again and my dad will take out his sketchbook and draw. This is such a great and relaxing vacation! Having fun in the snow during the day and sitting at home when the sun is gone, the belly filled with a good meal, plucking the strings of my guitar. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.