Tuesday 14 May 2013

Arrivederci Roma

Since the day was promised to be sunshine and blue sky again I decided not to spend it in the Vatican Museum. I will do that next time on a rainy day. Went to Basilica S. Giovanni in Laterano instead. Good decision. Again a very nice and richly decorated church. I found the fresco covered walls and ceiling most impressive. So many details everywhere... wonderfull.
Leisurely walked to the central station to get my train ticket to the airport just in case and then veered back into downtown Rome.
Passed Santa Maria sopra Minerva and decided to have a look inside. I found myself in the only gothic church of Rome with a beautiful blue, gold and red ceiling, a masterpiece by Filippino Lippi and nice plasters - one done by Michelangelo himself.
The aisles where where lined by alcoves each with a small altar of its own and a dome with a window. This style seems to be quite common in Rome.
Asked my guidebook where to eat pasta and came up with Maccheroni situated roughly near the Piazza Navonna. Good decision again. Most tabled where occupied that is usually a good sign. The staff was quite fun and easy going making compliments on my tattoos and asking me what German soccer team I favour. I normally don't eat pasta, but I had to have some Carbonara before I leave since it's said to be a Roman specialty. The pasta was just fabulous! Forget every pasta you ever had outside of Italy. It's someting completely different... in a bad way.
Anyway. Just having a cider at an Irish pub I came across, haha. Leaving in a few hours.  Will just walk the rest of the way to the train station and go home from there.
There's a fee things I want to say about my days here. But I'll do that in a sepperate post. Despite a week between my two holidays I was still kind of stuck in Ireland with my mind and soul. I kept thinking they're all driving on the wrong side and was always glancing to my right first when crossing the street, haha. And it certainly took a while for me to get accustomed to the masses of people, the traffic and the constant noise. But in the end I enjoyed my stay. I saw a lot and there are still enough things on my agenda to make me want to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.