Friday 10 May 2013

Rome!

I always wanted to go to Rome. When I had worked on three of my off-days lately I decided to take the gained extra days and go to Rome. With a weekend in between and a bank holiday that would be six days all together.
Took a mid day flight on Thursday and arrived at my accomodation shortly after 3pm. I had booked a room in Testaccio via AirBnB for only 35Eur a night. I have my own bathroom and my own set of keys. Perfect. My host is very nice and the walk to the Colosseo only takes 15 mins.
Just walked around a bit on Thursday as I had only half a day's time. As expected the areas around the inner city and the great sights are packed. But it's not so bad. Guess it's crazy in June and September.
On Friday I went to the Palatino as early as 8:45am shortly after they opend to avoid the mentioned masses of tourists. Worked out pretty well. The ruins are quite impressive for their sheer size though it's still hard to imagine what the whole place looked like 2000 years ago. If they'd install some 3D experience rotunda like the imax cinemas I'd certainly pay for it!
Took me two relaxed hours till I decended to the Foro Romano. By then the place was crawling with tourists. I think I was the only single person among countless guided groups and couples. There is a lot to see as well so I took my time.
Went strolling around the inner city afterwards. Passed Piazza Navona with the impressive Bernini designed fountain, Campo di Fiori and countless small piazzas and small alleys. Had some coffee and an insalata and walked over to the Castel Sant' Angelo. Also had a look at San Pietro but it was afternoon by then and not worth queuing anymore.
They open at 7am so tomorrow I'll be there by 7am hoping to avoid the rush that will certainly start at 10am. Also on tomorrow's agenda: Musei Vaticani as the forecast says there'll be some rain and Colosseo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.