Friday 5 September 2014

A Worthy Goodbye

The forecast for today was not too good with rain and low hanging clouds, but improving from the west so we drove as far west as Bridge of Orchy to walk in that area hoping for said improvement weather-wise.
Headed into Glen Kinglass from a car park near Inveroran Hotel.
It was dry so far and the broad gravel road easy to walk with nice views of the some hills in the distance despite a few persistent clouds. We took a right turn at a small hut to start our ascent of Stob a'Choire Odhair. The path was a bit boggy first, followed by a steep bit over rocks and grass with a quite rocky but not too steep last bit. Very nice and easy walk indeed.
Nice view despite the clouds
The clouds vanished more and more while we had our picnic up on the top looking down over the flat plane of Rannoch Moor. Absolutely stunning. Too bad we couldn't linger long. But as we walked back down the sun finally won over the clouds and more and more clouds gave way to blue sky.
Rannoch Moor. View from Stob a'Choire Odhair
We had a short break at a river enjoying the warm rays on our skin before we walked back on the gravel road turning around time and again to look back to cloud-free hills framed in blue sky. Just absolutely beautiful. Made a mental note to come back to this area as it is just as I picture Scotland in my mind.
Glen Kinglass on our way back
Had our last dinner and I devoured a massive portion of lovely Scottish salmon. Had been looking forward to it all week since it's always fish on Fridays. Yeah!

Will visit a friend tomorrow morning in Perth, pick up the bass cabinet I bought on eBay in Sterling and then head down to Bristol. Will take me about 7 hours from there. After two weeks up here Bristol and my everyday life seems so distant. But still I'm looking forward to being back, getting out of my hiking clothes and drinking proper cider.


So this is it. My first two-week long Scotland holidays are over. I had a fantastic time in the home of my heart and unbelievably good weather. Met some lovely people while I was here and did 24 munros, 22 new ones. Never expected to do all of Skye's peaks and so many around the Ben Lawers area. I came here with a count of 7 and leave with 29 on my list now, reaching the 10% mark. Yeah. Sounds little, but it's a big step for me.

I will be back. Again. Maybe next year. I have to. I'm just drawn to Scotland. No plans yet, but something will come up, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.