Friday 13 March 2015

Another Box Checked

Having been in my new job for only two weeks so far I enjoyed my first short Friday in ages! I had collected a few hours of overtime so that I could leave no later than 2pm headed north for my first of a few trips  to the Peak District. I had booked my weekend well in advance not knowing if I'd be still in my old job which would've made an early finish close to impossible. So I had only booked me a hotel for Sat night. Getting accomodation now on short notice for a reasonable price was looking for a needle in a haystack. I ended up choosing the YHA hostel in Stratford-upon-Avon for Fri night.  This way a very early start from Bristol on Sat changed to an early start from Stratford. Plus I could visit another place I've never been to before.

Arrived at the hostel which is situated in a massive white manor house at 4pm sharp, put a shirt on my bed to render it mine (couldn't find my towel) and walked half an hour into town in beautiful sunshine. They had given me a map at the hostel, but I only quickly glanced at it, then tucked it away and just walked around. I've seen far more British towns and cities than German ones but Stratford was still special in its high number of well preserved 16th century buildings.
I roamed the few streets that make up the centre as shops were closing, paid the Holy Trinity Church a visit as the sun was vanishing behing the rooftops. Past an authentic looking Chinese and saw some people sharing a hot pot inside. Ever since I saw one of those on a tv food program I wanted to have it. But so far no Chinese had the real one. Arg.
Went for a pint at The Old Thatch first and enjoyed a pint of Seafarers Ale, the first ale I liked enough to drink a whole pint. After telling my boyfriend - who is as keen on having  hot pot as me - about that Chinese, I went back there to get a menu leaflet. We decided to pay them a visit on our way from home the Peak District over Easter.
Walked back to the hostel in the dark. Was good to see another place, but unless you want to see Shakespeare's birthplace and his theatre and his daughter's house and his tomb, there's not much to see and do. Still good opportunity to tick Stratford off the list.

Tomorrow I'll head to Foolow near Hathersage for a two day navigation course. Will go home with the NNAS Silver Award as proof of my skills. I feel quite confident in using map and compass but am more than happy to fill some gaps and learn how to navigate in bad conditions when a map is of little use.
Looking at the weather forecast we may get lucky with heavy rain and moderate visibility at most on Sunday. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.