Tuesday 23 June 2015

Heading into Lakeland

I've seen countless places in the UK so far and added quite a few to the list over the past year and a half with North Wales, Brecon Beacons, Dartmoor, Peak District and very recently Exmoor. However, two very big names still remain on my todo-list. Cornwall and the Lake District. Latter one never really came to my attention as I always favoured Scotland above all and also developed a fond love of North Wales.
A month or two ago I watched a documentary on Alfred Wainwright and after hearing nothing but enthusiastic praise about "Lakeland" from different people before, that program was the missing spark to ignite a burning desire to finally explore the last of the three big mountainous areas of Britain.

I haven't read much about it, I haven't searched for pictures or trip reports. I simply know a few bits and pieces I've heard from other people. I don't want to spoil the feeling of seeing something for the very first time. Feasting the eyes on its beauty, sucking every detail in.

I'm driving up from work tomorrow to meet a fellow Mountain Leader Trainee at the National Trust campsite in Langdale. We will then go on a two-day circular walk with a wild camp on Thursday night, before we meet another ML trainee back at Langdale for another two-day round.

Right in the middle of Lakeland
Four days of walking and the weather forecast promises everything but boredom. Even though it's going to be strenuous I'm very much looking forward to meeting fellow future mountain leaders, sharing experiences and knowledge and walking in one of the most beautiful areas Britain has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.