Monday 10 August 2015

Wales Wild Camp Reloaded

The British summer in the South West has been kind this year. It's a bit chilly in general, but can't complain about a lack of sunshine. Still, with so many things going on in Bristol, I haven't really had time to do a decent walk after my Lake District adventure.

Until now. Again quite spontaneously I decided to wild camp again after work tomorrow. Weather looks really good. No rain and moderate winds at most. Yay! Will I now finally have a fantastic night on a ridge under the stars? Without the wind tearing at my shelter? I'd say the chances are pretty good!


So where go then? Pen-y-Fan again? Nah. I dug out my Cicerone guide for walks in the Brecon Beacons. Most of them are too short and too easy for me. I quite randomly opened the book straight at a 13mi circular ridge walk starting at Glyntawe near the National Showcaves Centre for Wales. I've got Fan Foel with 781m/2562ft and Fan Brycheiniog with 802.5m/2633ft as the highest points of the round. Two decent hills promising great views.
There are also two Llyns for possible wild camps. Plan A - since it's at two thirds of the whole round - is finding a spot at the shore of Llyn Y Fan Fawr. But I'll decide spontaneously depending on circumstances.
I'm all packed, only need to pick up my tarp tomorrow morning which I intend to use as groundsheet and cover should I unexpectedly get some precipitation. Very excited and looking forward to a fantastic walk after work and the solitude (hopefully) of a wild camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.