Saturday 27 February 2016

Back Home

Just chilling on my bed in a very nice B&B in Ballachulish right now, watching telly, drinking red wine. Ah, holidays at last. Feels like ages I've been properly away.

For five years now I've come to Scotland at least once a year, most years twice. My heart rejoices whenever I'm here. It's not just about being fond of the scenery. I just feel like I belong here. Every time it's like coming home again.
Only this time is different. It's the first time I'm here in winter. And what a day I chose to arrive. Weather in Bristol had been ok-ish when I got onto the plane, only to arrive in a slightly sunny Glasgow. Cool.
Watched the first half of the Scotland Six Nations game at the airport's Weatherspoons, before I jumped onto my bus heading further North. 

The weather improved with every mile:
Loch Lomond late afternoon, blue sky, white Ben Lomond top. Nice. 
Crianlarich with white munros. Nice. 
Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy with white and orange mountains. Wow! 
Rannoch Moor in the early evening with the dark yellow of the sun and the blue of the sky reflecting in its numerous pools with more white munro tops as a backdrop. Woahhhh!
Glencoe's towering mountains in black and white. Woahhhh!!!!!!

Express check-in at my B&B just opposite the bus stop in Ballachulish and off I went for a quick walk to make the most of the waning light. Longingly I looked up to the high white peaks around, but I was drawn to the shores of Loch Leven. 
With a pounding heart (probably because I ran the last bit) I stood there totally captivated by the sheer beauty of the peaceful scene.

Loch Leven
Nothing planned for tomorrow but to move over to the Ballachulish Hotel where I'm staying the next two weeks for my two winter mountaineering courses. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.