Wednesday 23 March 2016

Bye bye Scotland, Hello Wales


Back home in Brizzle,  still with vivid memories of the two weeks in Scotland. I'm off to hike the Pembrokeshire Coast Path from Thursday on.

Scottish Winter Mountaineering - My Conclusion

I've had a great time in Scotland, with awesome people. Again Jagged Globe proved to be a great organizer for such a trip and I'm planning to be back next winter.

I've learned a lot. Good and bad. My boots are too clonky (which I half expected anyway) and will prob be replaced, but the rest of my gear worked out great!!! Will add crampons and ice axe during the year, now that I know what to look for.

I need to adjust my training. Circuits are fun and nice for overall fitness. But short intense bursts of exercise is not what you really need for mountaineering. Back to low intensity cardio with cycling and hiking plus - and here I can use my circuits - strength training.

The only real problem is my bad circulation. My toes go numb so quickly and hard boots don't help. Standing on my two front points in boots and crampons is the same as standing on my toes on a small foothold when climbing. Both issue a cramp straight away. I have to accept that fact although I'm a bit gutted. This means I'm very limited in terms of technical routes.

Hello Pembrokeshire

After a week and a half at home I'm off tomorrow with my boyfriend for a lazy (in my terms) walk around the South West coast of Wales for 8-10 days. Compared to what I normally do it's going to be very relaxed, but it's nice to do something with my partner. Plus, I've always enjoyed walking along the British coasts, especially when on a long distance path where you end up in a different place every day.
We don't know how far we'll get, from day four on we'll make it up as we go. The weather looks like the typical mix of pretty shitty and not so bad. Still, looking forward to a couple of days with no rushing, no pushing, just simple walking, plenty of scenery and lovely small coastal villages.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.