Saturday 14 May 2016

South Snowdonia - The Hidden Gem

After my week in South Devon I drove straight up to another fantastic old house near Tywyn for my last week as a customer of Wandern Schottland... and to get to know the walks as this is very likely going to be a tour I'll be doing as a guide next year.

From the first night on the group was happily chatting away and laughing heartily pretty much all the time until we parted a week after. I think I never had such a fun and lively group ever in my history of nine tours with Wandern Schottland.

The part of Snowdonia that is South of the Mawddach Estuary (and the Rhinogs to the North to be honest) is much overlooked with people always going for the higher peaks up North. Funny enough the place is interveined with footpaths.
We walked mostly grassy hills and fields with brilliant views into green valleys, the highlights being the Precipice Walk near Dolgellau and walking the the barren, almost Scottish landscape between the Cadair Idris range and the estuary.

Did three morning cycles in stunning scenery

Walking back into Abergynolwyn


Bluebell carpet and gnarly oaks in Happy Valley

The village of Borth
We walked along the coast with feet in the cold sea water from Tywyn to Aberdovey and on the Ceredigion Coast Path from Borth to Aberystwyth. Three mornings I went on a short 13-15mi cycle ride to Bird Rock and back before the day's walk. Views were stunning and roads empty. I absolutely loved it and still had enough energy to do the walk after.

We only met very few people when walking which was good for us but doesn't do the area justice. There are endless paths to explore and I had fallen in love with this area when I did my NNAS Gold (navigation) course here last October. There is so much more to see and do and I will definitely be back, even if I'm aiming to complete the Welsh 3000s up North at the same time.

With a forecast of fantastic weather on Friday I couldn't just drive home in the morning. Instead I drove the 30 mins to Minffordd to once more tackle Cadair Idris, this time via the Minffordd path, making it a full circular walk by including Mynydd Moel, a new entry on my list of bagged peaks.
With the sun shining from a bright blue sky I was soon walking in shorts and tank top as I made my way ever upwards keeping a very committed pace. My goal: Get to the top at 894 metres in under 2 hours. With the help of an intra-workout energy sports drink (I fondly named this devil's brew "rocket fuel") I made it in 1:50hrs, even stopping for a few photos here and there. Wow!

On Penygader again (The highest top of the Cadair Idris ridge)

View to the West

Walked over to Mynydd Moel - the next top on the broad and long ridge of Cadair Idris and made my way down back to the car before the four hour mark. Result! What an end to a fantastic week in Wales!

Back home in Bristol it feels like I've been away for ages. Two weeks full of walking and cycling with great people and stunning scenery certainly feels like it. And only a week and a half to go before I'm headed for some walking in the lovely Lake District with my man Rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.