Friday 29 November 2013

A Walk Around Easton And St. George

As I had finished shopping for the time being and I would only move to my new home on Saturday morning,  I had nothing scheduled for Friday. Researched some walks in the area and came  across a nice suggestion from the Bristol Ramblers. They offered a map and desciption for a walk through some parks and cemetaries in Easton where I had my first viewing the week before. So it was easy to get there cause I knew which busses to take.
Hopping of at Lawrence Hill station I walked along a quiet road with some not so nice tower blocks seen nearby. The same area had made me feel a bit uncomfortable living nearby since flat must be cheap there and thus attract a certain clientele.
Soon I arrived at Netham Recreation Ground, which is a nice small park with a surprising view over Bristol and its hills in the distance. I never realized I was on ground high enough.

My path led me straight to the Avon View Cemetery. The weak sun struggeling to pierce through dark grey clouds hanging in the sky hiding any hint of blue turned the whole scenery  almost into black and white while gusts of a cold wind blew dead leaves over the withering stones.  It couldn't get any more convenient. 

Not long after I arrived at Troopers Hill. It was used as a quarry and was mined as well during the industrial era. People then successfully turned the hill into a recreational area wich looks quite natural with trees and bushes and several paths winding their way up and down. Only the left over chimney from the miners reminds the visitor of the former use of the hill.

From the top I had a fine view again of the green hills surrounding Bristol firing my desire to walk there. Whenever I see some landscape that is not city I just long to be there. It's almost like it's pulling me, my heart rejoices as I give myself to that painful desire. 

After walking around Troopers Hill for a while I turned north and then west again walking along those typical English semi-detached houses. The next notable landmark was St George Park. Walked along the pond, watched ducks and seagulls and left the park again.

More houses, a short walk on the Bristol-Bath cycle path and then over to Greenbank Cemetary. Spent a good while there as it was quite large and had some nice tombstones. Walked back on a good part of the cycle path which is really nice and I will certainly cycle it as soon as I have a new bike.

Back at Lawrence Hill station my tour ended and it was really nice to realize that you can have a very nice walk with lots of green right in the city.

Netham Recreation Ground

Avon View Cemetary

Troopers Hill

St George Park

Greenbank Cemetary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.