Friday 21 March 2014

Spontaneous Trip

Been in Bristol almost four months now and apart from a short trip to Cardiff and my try of completing the Frome Valley Walk I haven't been to the surrounding countryside yet. So it is high time to go for some outdoor action.
When I walked to work yesterday I felt that strong urge again to be in the wilderness, just enjoying the views and freeing my mind. So I made a very spontaneous decision to go to the Brecon Beacons over the weekend. Just pack up and go.
Looked up train connections and Abergavenny is just little more than an hour away billing £22 open return. Found a bothy at Grwyne Fawr just a day's walk away, perfect. Called a friend who's keen on hiking and he was in instantly. Bought a map of the area and started packing my stuff last night. Good opportunity to put my new 33l Osprey pack to good use.
Will leave Bristol tomorrow around 7:30am, have a quick look at Abergavenny and then plunge into the Black Mountains, as the Beacons are called there. Forecast is mixed but we always expect rain on the British Isles, hahaha.
This is probably the most spontaneous hiking trip I've done so far and I quite enjoy the fact, that I didn't bother planning the exact route but will be making that up as I go. Good way to practise map and compass navigation. Cool.

Will be back Sunday night then, probably all covered in mud but one happy camper, hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.