Saturday 3 May 2014

Dartmoor Day 1

After a lovely night with the softest linen I ever had the pleasure to sleep with breakfast didn't disapoint at all. I got scrambled egg with smoked salmon. Woah! I love this B&B!!! Meadowlea on 65 Station Road.... if you ever want to stay in Okehampton ;)
Took my time getting ready and finally set off at 9:30.
Unfortunately the promised sun didn't show up. I still went on a nice 24km loop directly from Okehampton all the way south deep into the moor to Dinger Tor and back. I had just put new pedals onto my bike the other day and together with my new shoes I felt a lot better and more stable. Those sneaker-like shoes feel almost like glued to the pedal once they connect to it but I can still change my position on the pedal. This is as good as it gets without using click pedals.
Cycled through some park-like scenery and ascended a steep tarmac road to Belstone that I really couldn't do in one go. Dammit, I'm not in shape, Turned onto the famous Tarka Trail for a bit nd was now finally in proper wilderness.
The going on the rough bridleway was fun and I enjoyed the bleak scenery. In fact, there was such a distinct absence of scenery that hit me like a wave once I realized it. Barren hills with some stones on it here and there. That's it. It took a while to take effect, but once this almost complete nothingness had fully engulfed me, relief washed over me. My mind and soul were at peace, just resting for a while. It was almost as if all the unrest, the troubles, my very thoughts had been taken away by the vast emptiness round me.
So I just cycled on, a happy grins on my lips, with sceaming thighs on steep ascends and flapping shorts on equally steep descends. Took a small detour to Dinger Tor since I wanted to see one of those Tor-things up close. Quite interesting stones shapes. Decided to ask the net how hey came to be and why they're.

My guide book had labeled this route as a tour for a whole day. I was back at 2:30pm. Didn't do any of the shorter tracks nearby,  but had a tea and a biscuit in my room (biscuit refill, I love this B&B) instead before heading out to have a look around Okehampton.

Had a look at the rather impressive ruins of the castle but there is not much else to see in Okehampton so went back to my B&B rather early to relax, watch some tv and blog. Right jow at 7pm the sun comes out. Arg. Hopefully, the weather will preserve until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.