Saturday 3 May 2014

Fate

Dragged my fully stuffed backpack, my fully stuffed bike backpack and my bike to the rental car service on Friday morning to pick up a nice VW Passat estate.
Drove to work and couldn't wait to finish to drive down to Okehampton and start my long weekend. Left quite on time shortly after 5pm. I had just turned into a narrow lane my google phone nav sent me through when I heard a loud crashing noise from the left. Oh no! I couldn't see any damage but still parked the car at the next possible spot to have a look. The front left tire ws completely flat with a gaping hole as big as a 2 pound coin. Woah, shit! There was no further damage around which was quite lucky still I had no idea what I had hit.
It had been ages since I last changed a tire. Called my colleague Ian for help since I wasn't far from my workplace yet and he is a car lover. I prepared everything and in the 15 minutes I waited for him two people offered help. One had his arm in a sling, , haha.
With Ian's help the swap was no problem. Phoned the hire company and then set off much later than intended. Arg. The M5 southbound was as packed as expected but cars where still rolling. Spend a couple of minutes passing an accident on the A30 and finally arrived at the Okehampton Youthhostel shortly before 9pm.
Unfortunately reception had closed at 8pm. Another misfortune. Walked around the house a bit just to see a group of young adults having some kind of party in the breakfast room. Errrr. Googled a B&B in Okehampton and was lucky for the first time today. Maybe fate wanted to point me into the right direction by first delaying me and then denying me the hostel.
I found a very cosy B&B just down the road from the hostel, the very friendly host had a room for me with the most comfy bed, a small tv and a spotlessly clean shared bathroom that I actually had to share with no one, haha. £32 per night. I immediately decided to make that two nights then, yeah!
So I settled in, watched some tv and was happy with me and the world. No wet tent in the morning and certainly no noisy adolescents,  ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.