Wednesday 25 June 2014

Finish Line

My original plan was to walk all the way to Conwy on the Carneddau ridge. The fully booked Conwy YHA shortened that route a bit as I booked my bed in Rowen instead. The weather this morning made me change my plans altogether. The clouds over the peaks stayed all day so I chose not to do the ridge. I could've done it, I had compass, map and gps, but being all alone and still too unexperienced with poor visibility I rather chose a route along Llyn Ogwen first.
Struggled to find my way over a couple of farms after heading over to Llyn Cowlyd reservoir as the bridleway that was on the map vanished time and again. I was sure about the general direction yes,  but just a couple of meters off the mark and I was on treacherous boggy ground. Arg. I was soon in a foul mood and just wanted to get this over with.
The walk along the reservoir wasn't as nice as it looked on the map which didn't really help my mood. It was already 4pm when I finally reached the dam at its end. What now? Find my way over countless public footpaths to Rowen? That would take me ages!
Instead I decided to walk a small road for 5km to Trefriw and hoped to hop on a bus to Rowen there since the village/town looked rather big. Counting steps again I soon reached the top of a small hill and wide views over the Conwy valley ahead, my destination just down there and a few hills to the south openend up. That was actually worth it!
So I really enjoyed my walk down into Trefriw and came onto the B something road leading to Conwy with a bus stop and a pub and it was just shortly after 5pm. I had made pretty good speed.
Had a steak and two ciders before I got the bus at 6:45 that was one of the very few that actually stopped in Rowen. Lucky me. Unfortunately the hostel is a good mile away from the village proper. I walked that mile cursing on a 25% ascending road next to a small stream with bushes and trees... midges country. So stopping or even slowing down ment I was dinner for hundreds of them. Why did I actually book Rowen?
Reached the YHA eventually, drenched in sweat. The woman at the reception was very nice and friendly and after a much needed shower I felt a lot better. The view from up here is truly amazing. Too bad I cannot sit outside on the large front lawn overlooking the valley.  I would be eaten alive by midges within 15 mins.
There is no bus going from Rowen tomorrow so I have to walk to the next village. Maybe I can get a lift from two french girls who are staying in my dorm room.
Will pick up my car in the early afternoon,  hang out in Conwy until then and finally with a decent signal  I should be able to book some accomodation in York. Was a bit unsure what do to. Will visit friends in Sheffield on Friday so that leaves Thursday open. I always wanted to go to York and this is a very good opportunity as it is very unlikely that I drive all that way up just to spend a weekend in York.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.