Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scotland on my mind

In less than three weeks I'm packing my car again to drive all the way from Bristol to Scotland! Moving to the West Country and my Welsh adventure kept me distracted but now as I'm in the final stages of my preparations I can't wait to go back home.



I had booked the week on Skye from August 23rd on and the following week at Loch Tay earlier in the year and had left it at that for a few months only knowing that I'd drive up in my car since I can pack more stuff and public transport to and from Skye is a bit complicated.
So I thought of going as far as Glasgow on Friday 22 right after work but now booked a nice hotel room in Carlisle instead. Had never had it on my list but it seems to be a town well worth visiting.
This will not only cut an 11 hr drive in two it will also give me a few hours to explore Carlisle on Friday night.
 
Driving then all the way to Carbost on Saturday to start my attempt of bagging all 14 munros on Skye in as little as 5 days from Sunday on. As a member of a small group we'll be led by a seasoned guide. I'm particularly looking forward to some more scrambling which I enjoyed so much on the Glyders and which is mandatory for all but two of Skye's munros as far as I know.
I decided against staying at Glenbrittle campsite and will now have a bed in a hostel in Carbost. Still good budget accommodation but with better facilities for cooking and drying clothes (!!!). 

The following Friday I'll leave just after the last hike for Glencoe and cycle around Loch Leven the next day or tackle one of the fine ridges around should the weather be really good. Drive over to Loch Tay in the afternoon to spend the next week munro bagging there with another one of those lovely wandern-schottland.de groups.

Can't wait to get going although driving up and down will be awfully exhausting. But I'll get 10-20 munros under my belt plus see two areas that are high up on my list: Skye and Glencoe.
On top of that there is a good deal of scrambling experience to be gained and not to forget some good physical training!

I'll keep you posted. Will have wifi and post some pictures and tales of my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.