Tuesday 24 June 2014

Snowdon!

Had I looked with foreboding over to Snowdonia the last few days hoping the weather would stay,  I can only say, it was the right decision to skip the first stage and do Snowdon today. There are still two more days in the hills ahead and I'll spend them in fantastic weather if I'm lucky.
The sun drove me from my tent again in the morning heating it up like an oven. Was too lazy for scrambled eggs so packed,  munched a snickers and set off at 9:30 along Llyn Dinas to Nantgwynant where the less trodden Watkin Path up to Snowdons peak started.
Somehow I had grown two nice blisters yesterday each under one heel. Arg. Very bothering and too deep to just cut open. Taping didn't help so I wore two pairs of socks now, which at least helped maintaining the status quo. Still the impact of those two little buggers was quite immense and I understand why blisters can be a reason to abort a tour.
Reached the start of the path and climbed through a nice valley ever upwards meeting a few people on the the way but that was quite expected on such a fine Sunday.
Heaving my backpack up the highest mountain of Wales and England was arduous but fun and I had to take short breaks more to rest my feet but catch my breath.
The last very steep ascent up a path with scree strewn all over it was the only bit that really made me curse the weight on my back that felt like someone was grabbing your shoulders while you climb, pulling you back down.
Reached the summit that was buzzing with people. Yeah. Sunday. Good weather. Somehow expected but not to that extent. OMG. I hated it. You had to queue to actually get to the trig point cause it was just too busy. Just went up there for a minute and back down to sit somewhere more quiet and marvel at the nice view. It's just too easy to get to the top.
Had a steakpie at the cafe -I was starving! - and started my descent on the Pyg track now, the easiest and most popular. Still walking down to Pen-y-Pass took ages and I'm not a big fan of downhill walking.
Reached the YHA Pen-y-Pass some tine after 5pm. It's been recently refurbished and is as lovely as it is big. Good spend £20. They even have a restaurant/bar that serves food and has some drinks. So I had some chicken gaujons as a starter followed by a nice chili and a homemade mandarin cheesecake. Yeah. Will have my beef stew for breakfast then tomorrow to get rid of the can,  haha. Not going to carry it around another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.