Tuesday 24 June 2014

Run to the Hills

Had a great night just lying on the couch watching tv somehow not really getting tired. It was just so comfy there! So after world cup I ended up watching Predator 2 until almost 1am. I had actually not seen it yet.  A shame. It's so bad that I had a great time laughing at the ridiculous dialogs, bad acting and cheap props. The best entertainment is the unintended one.
Couldn't really sleep. I guess I was just too excited to be hillwalking all alone soon with no waymarks. And I worried if I would really be ready for it.
Spent an hour over the outspread map with my gps and a guide of Snowdonia walks that covers some parts of my intended route. Still I didn't have the bit from Porthmadog to Beddgelert fully covered and only relying on my gps while climbing two hills? Hmmmm.
I started walking towards Porthmadog shortly before 10am on a very easy path, half of the way on a large beach again. It was so widespread that people actually drove their cars onto it and lay down onto the sand next to their vehicle. Errr... that is almost American,  isn't it? Haha.

Having another absolutely fantastic day I decided to skip the part uncovered by the map and take a bus to Beddgelert instead to do the three most difficult stages as long as the weather lasts. The numerous 3000ft hills I'm about to climb have their tops hidden in clouds for most of the year. Not climbing them right now would be stupid.
So it's Snowdon tomorrow. Then the Glyderau ridge tomorrow and Carnedd Llewlin and friends the day after tomorrow,  either staying in Dulyn bothy if I find a way down or pull through until Conwy if I can.
Reached Porthmadog after 3 hours of leisurely walking in the sun. Had a look around, a coffee some food and took the 15:20 bus to lovely Beddgelert. It's a typical small beautiful village neatly tucked in between hills that you take your family to for a Saturday/Sunday walk. Had a cider at a pub since the campsite was a bit of a walk and I didn't know if I really could be bothered to walk back.
Indeed I could. It was only 5:30 so I decided to walk back via the ridge of some lower hills on the south side of the valley as a bit of a warm up. Without the heavy backpack it felt really easy and I enjoyed the view from up there over to the Snowdon horseshoe and Yr Aran opposite. On the other side I could see as far as Porthmadog bay in the early evening light. At least I've been walking on higher ground a little bit today hehe.
Back at the pub watched the Germany match over a couple of ciders and walked back to the very lovely campsite where I had pitched just at the river under a tree with a nice view of the surrounding mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.