Monday 25 August 2014

Skye Day 2 - Halfway Through

I had slept pretty well which was not a surprise as knackered as I was. Got up at 7:30, had some breakfast and drove over to Sligachan where our little group was about to meet at 8:30 to tackle another three munros. Again the weather was absolutely fantastic. A clear blue sky all day long.
I had felt my thighs this morning from yesterday's arduous descent but luckily my knees felt okay. A long but not too difficult path led into a gully, then up a steep scree slope to a bealach between Sgurr nan Gillean and Am Basteir. The views on this fine day in all directions where simply breathtaking. We could see as far as Harris, Torridon with Ben Eighe and even the Old Man of Storr and the Trotternish Ridge could be clearly seen in the distance. Wow! Simply WOW!!! Seems like I came to Skye just at the right time.
We left our packs down at the foot of a nice climb up a chimney on the Northwest side of Sgurr nan Gillean. Two pitches we climbed then scrambled up to the top. Again nothing for the faint hearted and the best scramble/climb for me so far.
Down we went and abseiled where we had climbed the chimney before. After a short break we headed over to scramble up Am Basteir to tick another one off the list. Again good fun that one. Hiked around the North face of Am Basteir afterwards, left once more our packs and walked up Bruach na Frithe which was a lot less exciting but still a nice munro to do.



We collected our packs and took on the looooong ascent. I felt a bit better today on the scree and the longest stretch was on a normal hiking path. When we finally reached the cars at 5pm my thighs and knees were aching again. Crouching down was quite an effort. Still I felt a lot better than yesterday and with 6 munros off the list we were halfway through, yeah!!! Minimum number reached and quite a few climbs out of the way now. Another 3-peak-day tomorrow and we're almost done. The weather is said to last until tomorrow afternoon, so we should be on our way down by that time.

I drove the 9 miles to Portree, got some supplies at the co-op and back at the hostel had a feisty dinner of minced meat, chili sauce and half a package of veg. Finally enough food. I had felt the impact of missing out dinner the night before. So hopefully I'll be a bit fitter tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.