Wednesday 27 August 2014

Skye Day 3 - Three Times Three

Today we met at the Glenbrittle camp site and again the weather was just absolutely fantastic. It even felt a little warmer than yesterday and without wind it was even a little too warm when climbing up but I would never complain about sun in Scotland! I had a bit of an uneasy sleep last night as the muscles in my thighs were aching with every move.
Morning at Carbost Bunkhouse

Again we had three munros on our agenda. First Sgurr nan Eag then Sgurr Dubh Mor and the highest one of the whole ridge Sgurr Alasdair last.
So headed up an easy path into Coir' a' Ghrunnda with just a fantastic atmosphere right at the end where the rugged Cuillins surround the highest loch on Skye. A truly rare sight as it is more often in mist than not. We made our ascent up to the ridge just beneath the climb to Sgurr Eag which just involved some easy scrambling but being the last one on the ridge offered stunning views over the rest of the ridge from its top so we could try to find the ones we already did.
Once more we could see all the way to the mainland and the isles and without any wind stayed for a few minutes just marvelling at the view. But now a few small clouds had come in to put some spots of shadow on the ridge which made it even more marvellous.

Coir' a' Ghrunnda



Back down we went, got our packs and scrambled over to Sgurr Dubh Mor where we dumped our packs and scrambled up. With sheer deep drops just a foothold away this was great fun again and although a cairn marks the top there is another top nearby which we climbed as well just to be sure.
Back down we took our packs and walked over to Sgurr Alasdair, roped up and started a two pitch climb before it was just scrambling to the top. I have to admit I enjoyed the climbing most so far be it on Sgurr Alasdair, The In Pin or Sgurr nan Gillean. The rough rock has such a good grip that even the faintest holds are good enough.

We enjoyed fabulous views from the top that none of my pictures do justice before we climbed down to a bealach between Sgurr Alaisdair and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. Down a steep 900 yard scree slope we went into Coire Laggan into which we had went on day one. At time I felt like the whole ground was moving and I was starting a scree avalanche. Although I was cursing in my mind some parts where actually fun.
That kind of did it for my knees again and the rest of the then rather easy path I more like stumbled down. Eventually I made it, drove home, had food and picked up my amazon packet that I had delivered to my hostel. Yeah. In it was the new Opeth CD so I sat in my car with a Magners and listened to it.

Tomorrow we'll do the last two of the main ridge before we have an off day and do the last and easiest one on Friday. Brilliant!!! I never expected to do all 12 munros on Skye in less than a week. It's simply unbelievable how lucky I am again with the weather on my holidays, HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.