Sunday 31 August 2014

Transition Day

After last week's strenuous endeavours I had planned some kind of transition and off day yesterday. Spent a rather good night at the hostel in Glencoe and had pretty much all day to travel to Loch Tay. So I finally dragged my bike from the trunk of my car to introduce it to Scotland. Let it slip just slightly onto a large rock when prepping it up and have now a mean scratch and even a dent in my frame. Not... funny :(

Low hanging clouds and a constant drizzle didn't keep me from heading off to nearby Loch Leven. Cycled all the way around it via Kinlochleven which is rather popular amongst Scotland hikers and walkers and indeed the hostel there seemed to pour out quite a few of them all clad in rain gear for the day.

The rain eventually stopped as I was rolling over minor ascends finally able to enjoy the view. Back at the Glencoe hostel I had completed a nice and easy morning ride of 23 miles and 2.300ft elevation gain. Nice.
Had a cappuccino and warm apple pie with mustard at the cafe at noon and then drove over to Crieff to meet friends.
Took me ages as there was one slow driver after another, but I once more enjoyed the views passing Glencoe and Rannoch Moor a lot, even with clouds hanging low.
By the time I passed Loch Earn the sun had come out completely changing the atmosphere into a relaxed late summer with small waves glistering in the sun and small boats rocking lazily on them.

I was early in Crieff so I walked up and down the High Street before I met my friends for a chat in the sun. Then it was finally time to give my car a rest after arriving at Morenish House at Loch Tay. Funny how you remember things like a signposted camping site just the moment when you see them again. Found Morenish House easily with the last bit of battery on my phone (acting as my GPS device) dying as I veered into the courtyard.

Met the rest of the group and we had dinner together. Very nice people all of them and I bet it's going to be great fun this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.