Thursday 15 January 2015

My Kilimanjaro Trip - Conclusion and Outlook

Conclusion
What a memorable trip that was! I'm happy everything went so smoothly in the end and my mind was fed a whole lot of wonderful memories.

Africa/Tanzania
My first time in Africa I didn't really have time to get to know the people and the culture of Tanzania. What I have seen and experienced was very much like India in terms of infrastructure/hygiene etc. People are very friendly and open, they ask for your name straight away and shake hands. You will hardly see an unfriendly face.
I don't know if I ever want to come back though. Don't get me wrong, it's worth a visit for sure and I'd like to get to know the country and the people better, but there are just too many things on my agenda that I'd rather do first. :)

Travel Organisation
I chose to pay a bit more for my trip on purpose. I could've gone with a local organizer and succeeded but I picked Jagged Globe for one reason alone: They always have a UK guide coming along. As soon as any kind of issues come up, be they health related or organisation related, a UK guide will fully understand me in language, culture and way of thinking.
They also take a day longer for acclimatisation and the whole package they provide is superb! I always got a timely answer to my inquiries, communication was very friendly and they provided a load of information beforehand. I got a call a few days before my trip started, they asked me if I had any last minute issues/queations. And last but not least did they honestly try their best to cater for my dietary needs and I simply felt very well cared for. Perfect customer service.
Their local partner - namely The Keys Hotel - and the porters, camp helpers and guides were absolutely fantastic, too. Camp was set up when we arrived, we got warm meals and more food than we could eat in ten weeks and everyone was just very friendly and helpful. Thumbs up!

High Altitude
The great unknown for me when I set out. What would it feel like? How would I be affected. Apart from that one cracking headache on Lava Tower I can proudly say I hardly felt a thing. Seems like my body can generally cope with it quite well.
Above 3500m I felt the need to take a very deep breath every now and then and had a mild pressure behind my forehead but otherwise felt fine. On summit day I felt a bit dizzy very much like after 4 quick pints, haha. Can't complain about loss of appetite, lack of sleep or even nausea.
Still this is no free ticket to the peaks of the world. It can be completely different next time depending on my fitness and general condition when I start another adventure. I've also only been close to 6000m and not above it. I think that's when the "fun" really starts.
Still, my trepidation about the whole matter was unnecessary. I feel more confident and self-assured now to take on more challenges.

Gear
There was nothing I missed on my trip. The sleeping bag was not as warm as promised but with warm baselayer and liner I could easily cope.
There's still a number of upgrades I need for future trips. Namely boots, sunglases/goggles and a down jacket to fit under my hardshell.

What's Next?
With the feeling of a full success and the knowledge that my body is not unable to cope with high altitude the whole world of mountaineering is wide open for me. Options are more than plenty. It's not only The Seven Summits that tempt me, there are dozens of other adventures that I would take on immediately if I had the money and the time.

Skill Up
But before I venture further I need to gain some ice axe and crampon experience. A Scottish Winter Mountaineering course at the end of the year is the most obvious choice here, combining my love for Scotland and my ambitions to conquer all munros with gaining essential skills. Win-win, ha! After that I'll just decide what fits best for me in 2016.

Gear Up
Apart from crampons and ice axe there's a few more bits and pieces I need to get. I should be fine down to a temperature of -30C using both of my sleeping bags and my liner. Some decent goggles and glacier sun glasses are high up on the list.
But most of all I need decent double boots, that keep my feet warm. Will probably buy the warmest ones that fit, haha. If my feet freeze on Kili, what will happen on proper snow? I'd rather not find out without getting new boots before.

Make a Choice
2016 will certainly see me on another mountaineering adventure. The Seven Summits are very tempting and I will do them one by one only deciding if I dare going further when I have ticked one off. So it's either going to be Elbrus (which I want to do together with Kazbek) or Aconcagua next.

South America is more than tempting to me since I've never been there, so I may go to Equador or Mexico to do some of the volcanoes there before I attempt another one of the Seven Summits. 
Too many choices, ahhh. If I can get the time off and the funds I may do two adventures next year. But until then.... I'll stick to my beloved British Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.