Thursday 21 May 2015

Number Two on Round Two

Wednesday was weather-wise the best day of the week so we seized the opportunity to tackle a munro. Since all of them still had more or less snow we had to choose the lesser evil, which turned out to be one I had done last year: Stob a'Choire Odhair. After Ben Lawers this was going to be my number two of the second round of climbing all munros, hahaha.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed... not doing a new munro at all this week. But I knew that the walk into Glen Kinglass was going to be absolutely stunning. Surely, one of the most beautiful approaches. And Stob a'Choire Odhair is a fine munro indeed with wide views over Rannoch Moor if you're lucky. Last year we weren't very lucky, so I had something to look forward to.
Glen Kinglass
Started our walk in sunshine in good spirits and although clouds thickened during the day we didn't get any rain at all. Amazing! The pace up the mountain was slow enough to give everyone the chance to keep up and still fast enough to get the heart going, so it was a great workout in the first place.
Halfway up, looking back
Indeed, we had much better views on the top than last year, plus the snow present on the surrounding hills, gave the place a whole new look. Really enjoyed it a lot. We had our pick nick up on the top at probably the only spot where there was no wind. Ha!

Rannoch Moor
Devoured three chicken legs left over from last night's dinner and an egg and some cheese. First time I was really stuffed after pick nick. I already have a reputation of eating loads, hahaha. Especially meat. I normally have at least two helpings, but the others eat potatoes or rice or whatever with it and leave room for desert. I have none of it, so I can stuff my face until I'm full, yeah.

Unfortunately, there was too much snow on the neighbouring Stob Ghabhar, so we had to pass on that one again. (Last year too much cloud and too little time.)
Walking back down

Oil beetle female
Had a stop over in Tyndrum for a pint on our way back and one guest had to buy new shoes and was very lucky to find the last pair of really good ones at the Green Welly shop. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.