Monday 12 October 2015

A Brill Chill

Okay, my headlines are not getting better, I know. Still, I had a very nice quiet day today. Initially my plan was a two day circular route through the Rhinogs with a wild camp in between. But I was so exhausted and weary last night, that I decided to just chill, visit Barmouth and Dolgellau instead.

Again the weather was superb and it was almost a shame I wasn't walking up Rhinog Fawr, while I was having a late lazy breakfast, frying some yummy Welsh sausages on my camping stove outside the bunkhouse.
Eventually, I walked up the very steep road from the bunkhouse for a bit to get a better view of the Cadair Idris range in the morning light which looked absolutely magical again. Realized I had forgotten to put my SD card in, walked down, got the card, walked up again. I say it was worth the sweat.


Walked down a footpath from the bunkhouse all the way right into Barmouth next. Walked around the place for a while, which has a very nice 19th century feel to it. Infact, coming down the hill I passed Dinas Oleu, the first property given to the National Trust in 1895.
With the Cardigan Bay, the Llyn Peninsula in the North, the Mawddach Estuary and Cadair Idris in the distance, Barmouth is literally surrounded by beautiful views.
Seeing Llyn again, even if it was just about visible on the horizon, immediately brought memories back from about a year and a half ago, when I had walked all around its coast. I had grown very fond of this less trodden peninsula and indulged in those memories for a while, sitting on a low wall by the see side.

Barmouth and Llyn (very faint on the horizon) from Dinas Oleu

The Mawddach Estuary with Cadair Idris

After a coffee I headed back up the hill for a cheeky nap at the bunkhouse before I drove over to Dolgellau. Another little town said to be very beautiful.
Again wandered around a bit and found it very similar to Bakewell in the Peak District. The most beautiful houses all made of large grey stone bricks, lots of little shops here and there and lots of elderly people shuffling around, hahaha.
I wasn't impressed much and left after I had some food, marvelling once more at the scenery in the early evening sun. I just can't have enough of it.

Same old, same old in Dolgellau

Mawddach Estuary at low tide

Evening light over Cadair Idris
Chilling in the kitchen/lounge area now. Just made my plan for a day in the Rhinogs tomorrow. A few "then I'll try to find that path" or "I'll find my way to this point" in my route but the weather is said to be fine again, so I hope it's all going to be fairly obvious in good visibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.