Saturday 5 March 2016

First Graded Winter Climb Done!

After my near successful attempt of No. 3 Gully on The Ben last Sunday I had another chance yesterday to tick off a graded climb as we wanted to have a look at Broad Gully on Stob Coire nan Lochan. The weather had turned somewhat over night and instead of Southern slopes it was now Northern slopes that had a considerable risk of avalanches.
We went anyway just to have a look on site and then decide what to do. Started the very steep path up into Coire nan Lochan with our objective visible quite early on.

Glen Coe just always gets me. 

Stob Coire nan Lochan looming ahead
Moving on up

I was still battling with my cold and a bit short of breath but not near as bad as Wednesday. My rest day was a very good idea in retrospective.
We put on crampons as we reached the snowline and walked all the way up into the upper coire. Saw a group or two but no one in Broad Gully.

No one could keep up with Luis
We discussed what to do and decided to try Broad Gully and turn back should it get too dodgy. I would've gone the easier and safer route, but was happy to follow the group and trusted our instructor. 
We took our time, probing the snow pack every now and then and made our slow, but most importantly safe ascent of Broad Gully. It was nowhere near as steep and icy as No. 3 Gully had been on Sunday so I felt very much at ease and enjoyed the climb.

Ever moving upwards

Looking back down

Just completed my first Grade 1 climb
It was quite windy up on the ridge - as expected - and we pondered if we should go up to the summit. I would've LOVED to. Being so close and all. But since I'm fairly slow on the descent this would've meant rushing down afterwards so I was more than happy to keep it for another time.

We met a group of obviously quite inexperienced winter mountaineers and they almost looked at us in awe, saying "You've just come up from THERE?!?!". It made us all feel very proud of what we've achieved.

Had a fairly lazy walk back down which was good for my knees and my feet which don't like those hard heavy boots at all. Even managed another day without a cramp!!!
We had time to enjoy the views here and there and without precipitation and even a wee bit of sun, it had been a fantastic winter day so far.

Massive cornice

Nice view of Glencoe Village




Back at the hotel we got our hire gear sorted and after a recap of the day and the week said goodbye to each other.

I had a great time this week and the introductory course with Jagged Globe was awesome. They take their time to teach you lots of important stuff and don't rush out to climb graded routes straight away. I thought it was just the right pace to give everyone the chance to get accustomed to the winter environment, walking in crampons and using their gear.
Even though I had expected to climb more munros or routes I'm very happy with the outcome. I didn't expect it to take so long to get used to crampons and to get relaxed and comfortable walking in them. I think my awkward wobbling around in them had actually a quite negative effect on my cramp-prone (no pun intended, hahaha) feet earlier this week.

Looking towards the next course next week I was almost dreading it a few days ago. Thinking of cramps in awkward positions somewhere high up in a route. I'm more reassured now that I might manage and will just see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.