Thursday 3 March 2016

The Impact of a Cold

We had tried our best but my boyfriend's cold caught up with me on Wednesday morning. I didn't feel too bad, but quite a bit tired with a heavy head.
Still, I joined the group on the long walk in to CIC hut where I had been on Sunday with Ed. What a difference in terms of the weather. It was snowing almost all day with grey skies, giving the scenery a completely different atmosphere.

I was struggling the hour and a quarter it took to the hut. I felt like my limbs were just heavy, my backpack was heavy and I was breathing hard. Stupid cold! Well, I guess the fatigue from the forth day in a row of walking and working out played a role there as well.

Scotland in Winter
Luckily, it was another skills day, which was fun and not too exhausting. We learned how to use our ice axe as an anchor, how to build a bucket seat and tried a bit of bouldering with ice axe and campons on.
A perfect bucket seat

Heading back down

This morning I felt even worse and just very tired and sluggish so I decided to give it a miss. After all I had the Sunday adventure to cover for what I would maybe miss today. But I just needed a rest to hopefully be fit for our last day out on Friday.

Lazed about in the hotel lounge, catching up on X-Files and Family Guy, before I walked over to Ballachulish around mid-day and walked the very nice Becklet trail which starts at Ballachulish, leading uphill into a forest and then back down into the village.

Ballachulish and Loch Leven


On the Becklet Trail
The weather was fairly nice. No rain, no wind. Can't ask for more, haha. Had a nap when back at the hotel and met the group for the debrief. They had had a nice day practising some more skills.

Off to the hotel bar in a few minutes and the evening meal. Tomorrow we're going to attempt a climb of Broad Gully and the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan if there is time and opportunity. Give me a munro top and that's all the motivation I need, yeah! Hope my stupid foot will not cramp haflway up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.