Sunday 17 July 2016

An Unexpectedly Rewarding Easy Walk

After yesterday's super exhausting walk I fancied something easier today. With the best weather of the week so far I probably should've done another long circular walk over numerous peaks, but I just didn't fancy it. After quite a few very long days with lots of mileage and elevation gain I'm slowly feeling a bit fatigued. And my watch telling me my recovery time after yesterday's walk was 120 hours certainly seconded that.
So I drove to the Aira Force National Trust property on Ullswater. On a Sunday with fantastic weather I was well advised to arrive there at 10am.
Quite enjoyed the walk uphill through the wood and along the tumbling Aira river. The waterfall was nice but I don't get the fuzz about waterfalls really.
Once I cleared the woods I kept on walking uphill to the top of Gowbarrow Fell. It's not ridiculously high with 481m but I got quite a nice sweat on in the sun.
The view from the top was a welcome change from the last couple of days. Rolling fields, the Ullswater, Little and Great Mell Fell the only hills in view North and East. And the bleak Pennines on the horizon in the far East.


I followed the path looping clockwise around the hill back towards the Aira Force. The view towards Glenridding and the hills around it was absolutely stunning! This alone was worth it and is easily a highlight of my trip.
I just sat down for a bit looking at the hilltops surrounding Ullswater proud I could name many of them. Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Dollywaggon Pike, Sheffield Pike, St Sunday Crag, Fairfield.
Reluctantly I walked back to the now completely full car park, had a coffee and cake at the tea room there and beamed when I realized I had just saved another £9 on parking since it's free for National Trust members.


Back at the tent I quickly changed and walked down into Keswick. Wanted to check out the opening times of the butcher, get some postcards and do the food shop for dinner tonight and tomorrow night.
Another big day tomorrow. Depending on the weather I've got a few options and plans already laid out. With the recent lack of rain I might do the usually boggy Winlatter round. Also got Sharp Edge on the wishlist for a dry day with little wind. And Eagle Crag and Sergeant Crag would be a third option.
This place is just so amazing. You get a day of good weather and there is almost too much choice! So many walks. It's insane! Just sitting down with a map for half an hour and I can come up with a dozen walks from easy half a day to epic full on knee killing hill bagging. And all within 20 mins by car.
I got three days left now. My body is quite happy to see it ending soon, my mind has just gotten the taste of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.