Monday 18 July 2016

Something Not So Very Much Lakes

After more like half a day's walk yesterday I had to up my game again. But with Tuesday hot and sunny with little wind, I didn't want to spend all my energy and preserve some for the grand finale tomorrow.

There is a group of five fell tops just North of the Whinlatter Pass. All of them below 600m which was quite convenient for a day with partially low cloud. So off I went. Again only a 20 minute drive from my campsite I was all ready to go at 10am. 
I started from a plantation and walked quite a bit along a broad gravel road. Without much wind at all I was sweating like a pig in the humid air which must have attracted a lot of flies and whatnot. I was flailing with my arms all the while I walked gently uphill.

I missed the path up to Whinlatter Top which should have been somewhere leading through impenetrable vegetation. I just couldn't be bothered searching for it and simply walked on to a pass between three low hills. Veered right over some boggy ground to the first top, then back down through the plantation and some very nice, but little used mountain bike tracks.

Around mid day I reached my first Wainwright top. Barf. The English surely know how to name their hills. I mean "Barf". Really? Lovely view over Keswick and the surrounding hills again and I stopped for a wee break. Everything above 650m was shrouded in clouds, but the view was still very enjoyable. I think I've now seen it from almost every possible angle.



On I went over slightly boggy terrain to Lords Seat and Broom Hill. The going was easy with the recent lack of rain. I had explicitly waited for this dry spell. Otherwise it would've been a bog fest. Broom Hill offered nice views over the flat fields to the West. 

Down and up I went to the last hill top for today: Graystones. And just when I reached the top, some low cloud swept in and turned the world grey. Ha. So I didn't linger long and went back down one of the steepest paths I've ever walked down on. Took my time and it's really no so bad when you don't do it at the end of a very long strenuous day, hehe.

Had a look at another waterfall which was a bit of a let down, since it was hidden behind trees and stuff. Boo, Back at the car I clocked in 5 hours of lazy walking over eight miles. Got four more Wainwrights ticked off, now having officially summited a quarter of all Wainwrights. Yeah!!!

Although view were not breathtaking today, I quite enjoyed the walk. Nothing too strenuous and Broom Hill and Barf offer nice views. It was not a walk I would associate with the Lake District when more thinking of Langdale, Haystacks or Helvellyn. But today was rolling hills, flat fields and some wood. Quite a nice change from the "Wow, looka that!!!"

Right, so penultimate day tomorrow and the forecast looks great! I'm thinking Sharp Edge maybe. There are thunderstorms expected late afternoon so I don't want to make it a super long day. Another option would be Striding Edge with an early start and then walking down via Sheffield Pike. 
Dunno yet, I'll decide tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.