Sunday 10 July 2016

Hello Again Lake District

Finally here I have to say. What a day. Finished my application for a promotion in the morning, tidied up a bit, packed the last stuff and set off for Justice at 11:30am. How long would the drive be, my colleagues had asked me at work on Friday. Without traffic four hours, I had replied, I'm expecting five. I was quite a bit off the mark. With two accidents on the M6 it took me 7hrs. Seven!!! Google Maps sent me along some nice twisty country roads around Lancaster to avoid the worst and I have to admit I quite enjoyed that.
Quite expected the weather turned from sunny spells to heavy showers between the drizzle. That's why delaying my departure wasn't such a bad idea. Still, after such a long drive the first glimpse of the hills along the A66 when I was closing in to Keswick put a smile onto my face. Even though the higher ones had their tops - more like their upper half - hidden in the low clouds I just loved how their massive shapes surrounded me all of a sudden. My heart rejoices when I see hills. It is a sensation like no other. I immediately want to climb them. Admiring their majestic forms. A respectful visitor, almost careful as to not disturb them, hoping they'd be kind hosts.
I found Castlerigg Farm Camping straight away and it is a very nice one indeed. Nice flat pitching and a decent cafe on site which serves breakfast and evening meals alike.
I checked in for two nights. The weather is shite until tomorrow afternoon, so I'm doing a lower walk tomorrow.
Pitched quickly in a brief pause from the rain and decided to head into town. I just needed a walk. There is a nice looking pub literally a minute's walk from the campsite. I walked further into Keswick though taking a disused railway path half of the way.

View from the camp site

Found a nice bistro in town and had my first taste of a local beer: K5 is a wheat beer from a Keyword brewery and it is lush!!! Quite sweet and almost with a hint of banana. Loved it!!!
In fact I'm just about to finish it and then head back to the campsite before it gets dark. May check out that pub nearby though, hehe. Certainly earned my beers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.