Thursday 14 July 2016

Skiddaw and Friends

Woke up this morning with stiff and weary limbs but at least we'll rested. The last two days were awesome but hard on my body carrying the fully loaded pack up and down the hills. I've done some serious mileage and elevation gain and payed the price.
Wouldn't have minded a rest day today but the weather was supposed to be sunny with just a few high clouds. I can't sit around on such a day. It was either going to be Skiddaw and the surrounding hills or Blencathra via Halls Fell ridge, a grade 1 scramble. I delayed my decision until I was packed and ready to go. Looking at both biggies I decided to do Skiddaw simply because it had less cloud around its top. That doesn't mean anything if course, but with two to equally rewarding walks I had to make a decision somehow.
Drove the 15 to the car park of Dodd Wood and luckily got some change at the tea room there. How am I supposed to have £6.30 in coins???
Dodd Wood is one of those lovely areas with colour marked routes. I walked north along the yellow route through nice cool woodland all alone. Eventually I reached the open hillside and headed up the ridge that had the first two Wainwrights of the day lined up.
The first one was Ullock Pike, already 692m high. It reminded me of yesterday's Whiteless Pike. A steep ascent to a very prominent sugar loaf shaped top. I loved it every bit. I was in shorts and tank top with the sun blazing above. The mighty bulk of Skiddaw was looming on my left. What a humongous lump of rock that one! I was well impressed. 

Next up was Longside, really a ridge with a little top. Views over Keswick, Derwent Water, Winlatter, all the way to Buttermere and even further to the Scafells... pretty much all of Lakeland laid out at my feet. I could've Sat there all day soaking in the view. Absolutely superb. How can you admire the next top when you've already seen this?


On I went nevertheless. Time for the highlight of the day. The big name in the North Lakes along with Bkencathra. Time to climb Skiddaw. From this side the only way it a fairly steep scree slope. It's not that bad and many walkers' feet have gotten rid of most of the loose rock. Still, it reminded me a bit of the last bit of the Watkin Path on Snowdon.
And icy wind was blowing up on the broad ridge and I kept on going to keep warm. Just quickly touched base and decided to bag Little Man as well. Another conical hill just a little down and up. 
Said and done and another angle on the amazing view. The Blencathra ridge looked very different from the back. Took me a couple of seconds to realize what it actually was, haha.
Unfortunately, I now had to go back up to Skiddaw's back to find my steep screen path again. My knees were grumbling a bit but with the lighter day pack today I still felt not too bad.
Moved down the path ever so slowly. There really was no rush at all today. Arrived at the high pass again chilled for a bit in the sun to give my limbs a rest.
Walked over the top of Carl Side which was quite unspectacular, but although the path down was steeper than I would've liked, I had my stunning view in front of me all the time.
Turned right towards Dodd Wood and decided to bag Wainwright number 6 as well. The little bugger looked higher than it really was, sticking out of the wood. Before I knew it I was on the top of Dodd. There was a path leading down the other side which I soon abandoned as it was simply too overgrown. Coupled with being fairly steep and narrow I saw myself fighting through the underbrush soon and just didn't fancy it. On the plus side there was an abundance of blueberry bushes and I stuffed my face for a bit before I headed back up and took the green path all the way back to the car park.
Clocked in 10 miles today and 4000 ft elevation gain. Wow, so much for an easy day. Still I felt knackered but nowhere near as bad as the day before. What a difference a few kilos on your back make.
Drove back to the campsite, had a pint at the pub and a shower after, before I walked down into Keswick to find the pub that offered gulasch. Too bad it was packed so I ended up at The Wainwright. Busy too, but I found a table and just had a nice steak and ale pie.
Absolutely full now so the 30 min walk back up the hill to the campsite is almost appreciated. Last night I had been asleep by now. Don't think I'll linger around too long tonight either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.