Thursday 21 July 2016

Solo Walking in the Lakes - A Conclusion

Back now in the comfort of a proper bed and a roof over my head my mind is still full of images from the last week and a bit. My three visits to this much loved area of Britain have all been very different. The very wet and cold one with some fellow ML trainees, the hot and sunny one with my partner and the last one, the solo solely Wainwright bagging one.

I had set off only knowing I'd stay at Castlerigg campsite near Keswick for a couple of days. That was my very detailed plan. Then see how it goes and make my mind up depending on the weather. At the end I stayed there for all but one night. The campsite is lovely and its people even more so. They knew me by name after a few days and asked about my tours and were always eager for a chat.
The Hayloft is the on-site pub with great food and a very nice atmosphere as well. Been there almost every afternoon for a pint.

Keswick is a great place to be. I'd say it's equal in size to Ambleside but less frantic. Even if it's as busy, people just spread out in the large pedestrian area. Lovely little food shops and a good selection of pubs. I will be back!

The weather is the most discussed topic for fell walkers and righteously so. I've been very very lucky! I expected a mix of rain, cloud and hopefully some sun. I got rain only on one day during my stay and the day I left. Some low cloud here and there, yes, but I chose my walks accordingly and only had three tops without a view at all.

Some stats from my trip:

I've stayed for 9 days with one off-day in between.
I've walked 88.91 miles and equalled the height of Broad Peak in elevation with 26469 ft.
I've bagged 36 new Wainwrights and a number on other hill tops.
The toughest day was my 10 hour circular walk from Rosthwaite with 16.31 mi over 5144 ft of elevation.

My Wainwright count is still pretty sorry with only 60 of 214. But I'm enjoying the walking more than the bagging and you gotta give your body and mind some rest here and there.

Bagged Wainwrights (blue) before my trip

And at the end of my trip
With thunderstorms rolling over the Lake District on Wednesday I decided to call it a day. Even a low level walk in consistent heavy downpours makes little sense on a last day. Especially not when I had such a superb day on Blencathra.

I wouldn't mind going back to the same area next time. I know it pretty well now, but there is still enough to do and see for at least a week.

I don't know yet, when exactly my next adventure will be or where. I've got a week or two up in Scotland planned. Roughly mid-September. But I don't know yet if it will happen or not. We shall see.

Hightlight of the trip: Sharp Edge


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.