Tuesday 19 July 2016

The (Very Hot) Grand Finale

With a hot and sunny summer's day forecasted I had planned another big day out. Yes, it was that one day of summer Britain usually gets per year. It was even real real hot!
With very little wind at all I just had to do Sharp Edge. You just won't get a better chance. Got up fairly early and was surprised to be walking uphill by 9am already.
From a lay-by near Scale the path climbed at times steeply through a lot of bracken. Without the slightest breeze at all I was drenched in sweat  before half an hour had passed.
Veered left even steeper uphill into the Glenderamackin valley before the path gradient eased a bit and now climbed gently uphill. I had now my prime objective in full view. Sharp Edge. A short knife edge ridge and a steep and rocky climb up to Atkinson Pike. Wow!



Walked all the way up to the foot of the scramble and couldn't believe I was still all alone. Most of the scramble could be circumvented by using the path. Needless to say I didn't even touch it once, haha.
What a superb grade 1 scramble!!! Lots of choice without any route finding trouble. Stayed as much on the crest as I could and marvelled at the exposure. Took my good time enjoying every bit of it, soaking in the views.
The second part is a scramble of the outcrop of Atkinson Pike. Very different feel to it, but plenty of routes up.
Reaching the top with a big grins I walked over to Blencathra with a spring in my step. Nice views again, but I was still too thrilled by Sharp Edge to really appreciate them.
Walked the squelchy and too long detour to Mungrisdale Common which is indeed quite an unnecessary top surrounded by a huge bog. I'm glad I did it today after a dry spell. It is a Wainwright alright to better get it done today.
Number three was Bowscale Fell. Walked back to the ridge line that is the Blencathra massiv over more bog and then uphill to the top.
Had planned my lunch break up there in the shelter, but it was full of sheep pop and flies. Ewww.
So I kept going delaying refuelling just for a bit until I reached Wainwright number four: Bannerdale Crags. With the sun still blazing above I demolished two cans of fish and a handful of nuts.
What a day. It was only 1pm and I had already done I had planned to do today. So walking back down I decided to make it a full round and bagged Souther Fell on a there-and-back of another hour. Quite liked the view over the plains in the East, Great Mell Fell and the Ullswater fells in the South and Bannerdale Crags just nearby.


Walked back to a fantastic backdrop of some of the most famous fell tops, many of them I had climbed in my time here. What a nice conclusion to my trip.
Popped into the pub in Scale for coffee and Wi-Fi, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.