Tuesday 23 May 2017

Singapore, I am Ready For You!!!

So excited to finally go to Singapore! Been looking forward to my martial arts vacation ever since I booked it back in December. Only three more days before my evening 13 hour direct flight takes off from London Heathrow.

Where will I be going again?
Singapore!!! Finally. A bustling multicultural metropolis, competing only with Hong Kong for the number one spot of the culinary capitals in Asia. I've wanted to go for a long time, but never really looked for accommodation and flight prices before I found the Evolve MMA Academy and their martial arts vacation offer.

What will I be doing?
I definitely want to fit in some sightseeing. The Gardens by the Bay, Sentosa Island and bimbling around the different cultural quarters. I have a few things on my list, but might struggle to find the time to do all of them.

Eating! Singapore sounds like food heaven to me. Indian, Malaysian and Chinese are the three main culinary influences which make for an interesting mix. I will very likely not bother with restaurants and instead have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the many hawker markets that offer some of the best street food you can get on this planet.

Training! Reason number one I'm there. Evolve offers one-hour training sessions for the most popular martial arts all day long. I can go as often as I want and plan on 2-3 sessions per day concentrating on Muay Thai, MMA and No-Gi Jiu Jitsu.
So one early morning session, then fooood, an afternoon session, fooooood and an evening session and more food. I'm sure I'll need it!



How did I prepare?
I built myself a phased three month training plan, increasing volume with every month and factoring in some recovery time in between phases. I obviously kept attending my 2-3 Krav Maga sessions per week and added 5k and 10k runs, some circuit/HIIT and lifting workouts and the odd walking holiday.

April was a good month! Some serious training volume there!
I can do two workout sessions per day now and feel fitter than ever. I've kept an eye on my training load with Sport Tracks aiming for peak performance (the blue graph) when having my first session in Singapore on Sunday, which means I'm fit, but also rested enough. 

Fitness in green, fatigue in red. You want green as high as possible and red as low as possible.
The one important stat of "performance". Fitness minus fatigue.
I aim to have a day or two off during those two weeks, but I want to go home completely tired and exhausted having given it all! I want to improve my striking skills, defence, foot work and ground work. I want to get the most out of the training!

Am I ready?
Hell, yeah! I certainly can't be better prepared. It's an advantage that our Krav Maga club is probably one of the hardest with grinding conditioning work and a number of sparing rounds in almost every one of the 1.5hr sessions. I've done prison burpees and sparred with guys twice my size, what else can there be, eh?

I'm extremely excited about this and hope the whole trip is physically, culturally and culinary everything I hope for. I'll get myself a pay-as-you sim over there with a good data allowance and will post photos and updates as and when I can.

Watch this space!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.