Saturday 27 May 2017

Good afternoon Singapore

I made it. I'm more than 7000 miles away from home and finally in Singapore. The journey was long though. 2.5 hours on the bus to Heathrow, then killing almost another 2 hours mostly by wandering around thinking of the imminent long haul flight.
I had dreaded the 12 hours a bit remembering how boring my 8 hour flight to India had been. But somehow it wasn't so bad at all. The plane took off half 9 and after a light dinner (Singapore Airlines offer low-carb options, how cool is that!) it was already bedtime. Lights dimmed I watched John Wick 1, then tried to sleep a bit but my legs started to stiffen and swell and it got ever more uncomfortable as the hours droned on. Watched John Wick Chapter 2 in a handful of stages, whenever I woke up until I was tired enough to doze off again.
By breakfast time I was already halfway through Passengers and finished it half an hour before landing. Three films done. Neat. Not much to see from the window. Most of the time I had had the shutter down so people could sleep and when I openend it, all I saw was cloud. Boo. I only caught a glimpse of Sumatra just before landing.

Immigration and picking up my suitcase was done in no time and before I knew it I was on the MRT into town. It was sweltering! Just what I had expected. The air-con on the plane had been a bit too far on the cold side so I had happily made use of the provided blanket. Now I was drenched in sweat just wearing shorts and a shirt.
Glad to see, that a lot of women here wear shorts, shirt and flip-flops or sandals. I shall fit right in, ha.

My host Johnny had already made contact via Whatsapp and sent some instructions on how to find the house. It was easy enough. Very nice chap and the house is very nice indeed. A 7 minute walk from the MRT station and with a shopping centre and hawker centre very close by.
My room in the house is very nice, too. Fairly big with air-con, en-suite and a big fan on the ceiling. Quickly unpacked most of my stuff and then headed out for food.

My room
The main road near the house was lined with food stalls and rammed with people. Yay! Straight into the mix. Good smells everywhere and plenty to choose from. Lots of kebab stalls, fried seafood and sweet stuff. I decided to try the first thing that looked interesting: Tako Yaki. Turned out to be a very yummy egg and dough ball with crab meat and some sauce. Very good.

Food craziness

Tako Yaki, yum

Haig Road Market
The actual hawker centre stalls where all about to close by the time I had a look, but I didn't really fancy sitting down again anyway (I was a bit tired of sitting, haha). So I went for a bag of freshly deep fried golden squid heads, nice and spicy.

Seafood grill

Squid on a stick is very popular

I went for squid and sticks instead

Is it Christmas yet? No, I'm almost certain this is Ramadan celebration
Went back home for a shower and some chill time after such a long journey. So far I'm planning my first MMA training session at Evolve Academy for 4pm. Before that coffee and breakfast at Black & Ink cafe near the house and maybe a stroll through Little India? We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.