Tuesday 30 May 2017

Skills Improvement

Quiet day in Singapore, but still very enjoyable. I improved my physical skills in two training sessions and my knowledge based skills in the morning.

The heavy rain of the early morning hours lasted all the way to just after noon, so I stayed in and actually got a fair bit of my study for the Business Analysis exam done. This time I even had a quick breakfast of oats with some dark chocolate chips and an apple. Quite nice really. I miss my morning tea, but $7 for a pack at the local supermarket is really not worth it.
Headed to the gym for 2pm for my first session of 10th planet jiu jitsu, a no-gi system developed by Eddie Bravo. I was hoping to learn some new tricks for my ground game. Instructor Rick is one of the nicest persons ever and has received his 10th planet jiu jitsu black belt from Eddie Bravo himself.
I leared the rubber guard which is pretty much the centre piece of this version of jiu jitsu and a few combinations with it. Some sparring at the end. Was good fun in a small group of 5 students and I will go again to get more out of it.

Lunchtime was spent getting myself some flip flops at the Chinatown market. I was just getting too hot in my trainers, plus this way I fit right in to the flip flops wearing Singaporians.
Headed over to Maxwell Road Hawker Centre in my new footwear to get my Hainanese Chicken Rice from Tian Tian. Gotta be done. It was easily the busiest stall in a once more quiet Hawker. Not that I minded much. Made finding a table very easy.
It really is half a steamed chicken on rice. Looks simple and bland, but oh my gosh is it good!!! The spicy sauce is perfectly balanced with ginger, garlic and whatnot, the rice is fabulously fragrant and the spoon of a brown sauce over the dish is simply amazing. Wow!!! Lonely planet was right. This is a must-have!!!
Tian Tian's superb Hainanese Chicken
Walked past a cafe of sorts on my way back and fancied their waffle with ice cream. Something fresh and I was still peckish. Had to wait quite a bit to get my plate, which meant I missed boxing class, but boy was it worth it!!!! I'm not a big fan of waffles, I find them boring. This one was so soft and doughy inside and crispy on the outside, the mango ice cream was fruity and fresh and the chocolate sauce on top perfect. YUM!!!! What a find. Doesn't get any better than that!!!

Simply superb waffles and ice cream
Back at Evolve I joined the Warrior Fitness class at 6pm. Instructor Heath was a US olympic wrestler and was Dan Henderson's training partner for over 25 years. The guys at Evolve certainly are no mere gym instructors. They know their shit.
Bodyweight and kettlebell circuits got us all sweating and I really enjoyed it. This is a class I can fit into my sightseeing days since I only need shorts and a shirt which fit easily into my shoulder bag. Nice.

Headed home after a nice day out. Not yet physically challenged, I'll try to get three training sessions in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.