Monday 29 May 2017

Two Times Thai

Today was the day. First Muay Thai sessions at Evolve MMA. I had planned to go to the 11:15am session and had bought some instant oats, dark chocolate buttons and apples for breakfast, but found myself a bit in a hurry in the morning, so just had an apple and dashed off. Stupid late night reading, ahem.

Grabbed a quick soy bean curd porridge with chicken balls at the MRT station which was alright, but nothing to noteworthy. Arrived at Evolve early enough to check in and get the tour and then change for my first session. The facilities are really nice! It is somewhat air conditioned, but training still leaves you dripping sweat. Changing rooms are modern and a fresh towel as well as shower gel are provided. Nice touch.
Two big gym rooms, one mainly for Muay Thai and boxing, the other for BJJ, MMA and "Warrior Fit", a strength and conditioning workout for martial artists.

Quick warm up of running around, then onto the punch bags for 50 kicks each leg. Boy those bags where hard as rock. After the first few "normal" kicks, I only barely touched them. Ouch. Brought some nice bruised shins back from that.
Next group stretching.
Some partner drills and some circuit rounds with three stations next. So everyone gets a go at more punchbag kicks and punches and some padwork with two supporting instructors. Really good stuff. They corrected my elbow strikes and kicks and knees and I already learned a lot from just that one session.
50 knees to the bag, press ups, burpees, front kicks at the end. They do the phys at the end. Nice touch. It was a shorter session at 45mins, but I enjoyed it a lot. quick shower and off I went for the hunt for lunch.
Couldn't find my favoured place at the mall nearby, so went to the harbour side and finally settled for a burger. The view was worth it and the burger not too bad.

Lunch time view.
Killing time until the next session at 16:15 was a bit boring. The stupid bag made long walks a bit cumbersome. Sat a bit in a park and in Point Mall in Chinatown just to stay cool. Think I want to put the training sessions a bit closer together, to avoid this. Or find a nice spot to chill and take my Kindle or something.

Second session was an hour long, another main instructor supported by the main instructor from the morning session. Longer phys at the beginning with some skipping (glad I managed okay without much tangling and didn't look like an idiot). Some striking combos and more kicks and punches to those hard bags, more pad work in between and technique stuff. The hour was over before I knew it.

Another shower and then finally over to Maxwell Road Hawker Centre. One that was recommended by my Lonely Planet. Passed by the facinating Sri Mariamman Temple with the many deities on top of the entrance gate and the impressive Buddha Tooth Relic Temple.

Sri Mariamman Temple
The Hawker was fairly quiet at 6pm. It doesn't seem to be a favourite for dinner after work. I didn't mind at all. Although the one stall I was after was closed as well (Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken, Lonely Planet again). Went for a Black Pepper Chicken dish from one of the other stalls, which was fairly spicy and dead cheap at $5 which is £3.

A very quiet Hawker

Black Pepper Chicken, yum!!!
I'll come back here for lunch after my morning session tomorrow, hoping Tian Tian is as good as promised and ticking another typical Singaporian dish off the list.

Home on the MRT. It was BUSY!!! Rammed train at 7pm. It seems, Singaporians work long hours. Chilling now at home after yet another shower watching my bruised shins chainging colour, haha. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.