Saturday 10 June 2017

A Heavy Hearted Goodbye

This is it. Two weeks in Singapore over. It is indeed with a heavy heart that I'm leaving. Don't get me wrong, I love Bristol, I'm longing to see Rich again and wouldn't mind a nice luke warm, still, cloudy scrumpy with bits floating in it.

But Singapore is awesome and the Evolve Academy has become my second home. I've met some great fellow students and trained with them and there is such a friendly atmosphere at Evolve despite everyone working hard. 
I'm still absolutely humbled to have had the opportunity to learn from multiple-times world champions. I've looked them up, I've watched their fights on youtube. They're real. And they showed me how to properly punch and kick and move and they held pads for me. And all the time they enjoyed doing this, had a laugh here and there whilst at the same time pushing me. A bunch of very nice guys that just happen to have a large collection of shiny belts at home. Just for this... coming all the way from the UK, just to train with them for two weeks... not seeing anything but the gym... even that would've been worth the money.

My second home - Evolve MMA Academy

But I did see some of Singapore. I had the odd day off and had to decrease my number of training sessions yesterday and today due to a now heavily complaining achilles tendon. Too much skipping, jumping etc. Overtraining after 25 training sessions in just 13 days. And lots of walking on my days off. Now even walking is very unpleasant. Bit frustrating, I would've liked to do another 3 sessions.

So after my last Muay Thai session this morning I had to call it a day, but not without getting a fan girl photo with my instructors! Said goodbye to the girl at the counter as well who's been very helpful and accomodating as all the staff and off I went into the burning midday sun.

Being trained by world champions Kru Orono Wor Petchpun (left) and Kru Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (right)
Quick salad and a load of poultry downtown, then off to Tiong Bahru, which my Lonely Planet said, was worth a trip. A up and coming neighbourhood with some nice cafes and artsy shops. 
I really only spend an hour or so there. Nice vibe indeed and a very typical Singaporean contrast: A cluster of older, smaller houses with said cafes and shops surrounded by towering skyhigh appartment blocks. At least two if not three times as high as the ones we know back in the UK, they don't have the taint of hinting at a dodgy area where you don't want to go at night. No this is indeed the only thing most people can afford. Even if you're working in a fairly decent job.

Had a coffee and a lush raspberry tart in one of the cafes luckily avoiding a heavy rain shower and then took the train to Chinatown to try and spend some money on the market. Even though it's veeeery touristy, I really like it there. Sat outside one of the restaurants with a Singaporean craft beer (!) and watched people walking by, taking photos, browsing, chatting, laughing. What a mix of different cultures and all of them peacfully enjoying a nice day out. 

Terrace houses and skyscrapers in the background

Bustling Chinatown

Supposed to be BBQ pork. They sell it everywhere in Chinatown. I didn't wanna try.


Singaporean craft beer. For around £6 per pint.
Limped back to the MRT station to get home. My foot was really not happy at all by now. Maybe walking at least 15k on my day off yesterday hadn't been such a good idea. Arranged my check out tomorrow morning and just chilling right now watching some Netflix.

Bye bye Singapore, it's been a fantastic time! I'll write down some thoughts on Singapore when I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.