Friday 9 June 2017

Tree Tops and Top Shops

After another three days with 8 training sessions all together I had to take another day off today. Tuesday to Thursday my daily routine had been pretty much the same. Breakfast around 8:45am. Greek yoghurt, coconut cream and a load of fruit. Then to Evolve for the 11:15 Muay Thai session.

One hour break of chilling at the gym and then the second Thai session. Longer break with coffee and a huge salad nearby in one of the handfull of salad bars. They're quite popular with people working in the offices. You get a sheet of paper with options. You tick your salad base, extras and protein and hand it over. Couple of minutes later you a have big bowl of healthy shit.


With all those training sessions, my body was craving for green stuff and protein, so I listened and had some pretty good ones, like the one above at Omnivore.
Afternoon training session of Boxing and off home I went knackered. Sometimes another salad, sometimes I was too knackered to be hungry and only had a banana later at home.

Unfortunately, my left achilles tendon started complaining Weds night. Must be all that skipping we do. I did another 2 training sessions on Thursday but it wasn't really happy, so I had a forced day off today. Just when I was making real progress!

Walking hurts but is okay, what it doesn't like is standing on the balls of my feet. Can be arranged. So I made the journey to MacRitchie Reservoir and the surrounding nature reserve. Wow!!! Like the Botanic Gardens (actually not far away from it), but without the landscaping bit. Lots and lots and lots of rainforest. I saw butterflies, lizards, turtles and the local longtail macaques, all of them in their natural habitats.
The main trail leads around the huge MacRitchie reservoir and often you have the choice of walking through the rain forest or on planks along the water. Both options are simply beautiful. All those sounds around! It was quite busy on the main route with lots of runners, but on the planks next to the water I was mostly alone.



This one literally sat down for me and two girls who happend to be there as well, so we could take photos.
The whole trail is about 12km (roughly 8mi) long with the detour to do the Tree Walk. A 250m long bridge through the tops of the trees. Very impressive I must say and well worth the trip!!!
It was sweltering again most of the time, sheltered from the wind, sweat was constantly running down my limbs and back.
It had taken me four hours to do the loop from 10am to 2pm. Lots of photo breaks and fauna watching. I was knackered. My foot wasn't happy. This wasn't a quiet recovery day after all. Boo. But it had been amazing and was well worth the sweat!



Tree Top Walk

Watched this little guy hunt fish for some time.
Off to the complete opposite. Orchard Road. Singaporians love two things the most. Food and shopping. Orchard Road is the epicentre of shopping. Mall after mall all lined up nicely along the road. I wasn't interested in shopping, but every mall comes with a food court and I was staaaarving!!! Had had a small curry pie to tie me over at MacRitchie reservoir cafe, but that surely wasn't gonna last long.
Whilst walking through the ground floor of one of the malls parallel to the street to cool down, I came across some Ben & Jerry's promotion event for their two new flavours. They dished out a scoop of each for free. Score!!!! Both were delicious indeed. Free ice cream, yay!

Malls, malls, malls

Beautiful Emerald Hill Rd., just off Orchard Rd. with it's 1900-1920s terrace houses.
Passed by the small Killiney Kopitiam, a cafe that also serves food. As always I let myself guide by the feel of the place and the pictures of the dishes on the wall and I was intrigued. It all looked yummy and staff was friendly. Right, then. Laksa!!! It was high up on my list of food to have here and I have to say it was delicious and filling for mere £3 (SGD 4.80). Bargain!!!

Laksa
With a full belly and no longer interested in any of the shopping craze I took the next train home, chilling and resting my foot, bathing it in Tiger Balm. Last day tomorrow, boo :(. Will go to a training session at 11:45am and then see if I can get through a second one with an hour's break between. I know I should rest my stupid foot, but it's my last day. I can rest afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.