Friday 2 June 2017

Alien Trees and Lightshow Super Trees

Thursday was my day off training, so what to do? The list was long but two things stood out as must-do: Sentosa Island and Botanic Gardens. I decided to do the Botanic Gardens as the day was forecasted mostly overcast.

Headed off to the gardens' very own MRT station around 9am and started walking. What a fantastic place!!! Though sheltered most of the time I was drenched in sweat without the slightest wind. It's a lovely big space and I ended up spending four hours there. They have a number of themed gardens within like the superb Foliage Garden and a Rainforest Walk.

The Foliage Garden
Highlight for me was the Evolution Garden. A walk through the evolution of plants through the different ages from no plants to moss to ferns all the way to flowering plants and trees etc. The models of now extinct Lepidodrendron were most impressive and the neverending background noise of cicadas gave the whole scene a very otherworldly feel. Spooky and elating at the same time, especially when being all alone.

Spooky, despite being a model of extinct trees.
Solitude ended at the Orchid Garden for which you had to pay $5 to get in. Beautiful, colourful and a feast for the eyes, I still preferred the other gardens, haha. Not just because it was fairly busy here.

Orchid Garden, one of the few parts that were actually inside
Headed to the local food court/Hawker for some lunch as I was getting really hungry now. Had another favourite of Singaporians: Banmian. The name itself referrs to a flat cut noodle which is often served in a soup with anchovies, a choice of meat and some little extras. I had a dry version called Spicy Mala Ban Mian which had dried anchovies and beef. Again very yummy.

Once again Hawker nosh
Two stations on the MRT to Holland Village which wouldn't have been worth the visit if it wasn't for Haakon, a tiny cafe with "healthy shit"... and I was craving for healthy shit, haha. Got a green smoothy and a smoked salmon salad, then took the train back down to Little India.
Had looked forward to going there, but just walked around for a bit. It is a bit like India indeed, but really just a few smaller streets with mostly flower stalls and green grocer stalls.

This must be Singapore's most colourful house.
Coffee at Bugis+ mall, then into town to see the city centre and most of all the Super Trees after sunset! The Singapore Regatta 2017 that was on, was a bit boring as nothing was happening really and I didn't fancy paying for a cocktail. So I had a snooze on one of the deck chairs facing the bay and pretty much woke up to watch day turn into night. Amazing, stunning and soooo worth the wait!!!

CBD after sunset.
Time to head over to the Gardens by the Bay again to see the Super Trees alight. I wasn't the only one.. by far... with that idea. Still absolutely amazing and a must-do in Singapore!!! They actually pulled off a light show with the Star Wars score blasting from the speakers around. Very, very cool. Just now my GoPro gave up, arg!!!! And I had brought it for its wide angle really. Boo. but to be honest, I don't mind watching the show again after properly charging my cam. Silly me.

Super Tree Lightshow.
Tired and with blisters on both heels I limped home. Grabbed a superb pulled lamb wrap from the market near the house and collapsed on the bed after a quick shower. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.