Monday 5 June 2017

Holiday on Holiday

After my three intensive training days Friday, Saturday and Sunday with three sessions each day, my sports watch and to be honest by body both told me it was time to rest. Apparently, I needed 120 hours to recover from my workouts. Yeah, not gonna happen. But I decided to give myself a day off.


With week 1 over, I have done Muay Thai, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, MMA and Warrior Fit, the latter one being the toughest of the lot. Three days of eat, train, eat, train, eat, train, eat, sleep.
Whilst Warrior Fit is the most fun and exhausting one, I get the most technique improvement out of Boxing and MMA. Boxing because it concentrates on upper body only so we also do defensive techniques like slipping, dodging and counter attacks. The Muay Thai classes do striking only and no defensive maneuvres at my level.
MMA is good fun and the three classes I took were all about take downs, we even did some light sparring in one session. This is surely the closest one to Krav. So next week I'll do 2x Boxing per day and 1 Muay Thai, then swap 1 Boxing class for the MMA classes on Friday and Saturday. Sad to drop 10th Planet, but I would need to train for much longer to get anything useful from it.

Full on week 1 with 16 training sessions in 7 days.
So day off today! I went to Sentosa... a pleasure island just South of Singapore, connected via a bridge. It's full of attractions with Universal Studios being the biggest one. There are beaches, bars, cafes, shops, restaurants, fun pools and all kinds of stuff. I was really just inrested in the world's biggest aquarium!
It re-creates 49 aquatic habitats found between South East Asia, Australia and Africa. The Open Ocean habitat is absolutely spectacular with a 36m long and 8.3m high viewing panel. Inside a plethora of open ocean creatures including a huge black manta ray.
The tube through the big shark tank was equally impressive and if it wasn't for the rising number of visiting famlies with their noisy children I would've stayed for much longer, haha.

The Shark Tube

Love the colours on this one!

Stunning Open Ocean tank
After that I had some nosh at the island's own Hawker Centre called "Malaysian Food Street". It was reasonably cool as it was an indoor Hawker with faux streetscape, and signs everywhere what every dish was. Bit touristy, but I actually liked it a lot and the food was again lovely. Didn't go for Laksa as it was a vegetarian one and had instead a nice Malaysian Chicken and Rice dish.

Malaysian Food Street with Malaysian Street Food
After that I stepped back into the heat of midday and dragged myself to the Southernmost point of continental Asia. It is actually on a small island but since this one is connected by a bridge to Sentosa, Sentosa is connected by a bridge to Singapore and Singapore is connected to Malaysia by a bridge as well, it counts as continental Asia. Well, if you say so. Not much to see really apart from loads of huge container ships hanging around. Bit of a weird sight that.

Does a dream beach involve container ships???
Sunshine, 35C and hardly any breeze had me pouring sweat as I made my way back to the centre of Sentosa and the train back to Singapore. Had a coffee at the very nice Vivo Mall and headed uphill to the highest mountain... well, hill... hump maybe... of Singapore. Mt. Faber with its impressive 166m. Loved the walk up through secondary rainforest with the sounds and smells that came with it. The top was a top and full of people. Funny how you can be pretty much all alone on the way up, only to find everyone else at the top. Ha.

Old school summit selfie.
On I went on the highest foot bridge of Singapore, the Henderson Waves. Always staying within park landscape from Mt. Faber Park via Henderson Waves to Telok Blangah Hill Park, Hort Park and finally Kent Ridge Park where I dropped down to the main street and onto the MRT again.

Walking on the Henderson Waves.
I was pretty knackered. The heat and a fairly long walk (27,000 steps... whatever that is in km/mi) had taken their toll. The train was rammed at 6pm and I was glad when I was off it again.

Great day. Missed the rest of Kent Park and didn't visit Labrador Park. But I'll probably have another day off and I certainly want to come back to Singapore, so better leave some things do to later. Back at Evolve - my second home - tomorrow for more training!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.