Friday 20 June 2014

At the End of the World

Wanted to leave early but was too lazy to get up and only got going at almost 10am after paying for my stay and a nice chat with the lady of the property again. She even gave me a nice leaflet about Llyn and its history. Cool.
Set off to walk along the coast again and came to a point where the sign of the coast path was clearly ripped of the wood. GPS and map pointed to another field with cows on it but the was no sign at all at the gate so I was a bit undecided. In the end I went back cause I had passed two other public paths on the way according to the map that would both lead down to the road as well.
The first one didn't exist. I was bracing myself for going back all the way when I came to the second one and it was actually where it should be plus lead me down to the road. I was dragging my feet over tarmac again and still felt that first day. The high hedges flanking the road killed the mild breeze that was blowing before and as the sun fought through the clouds that had come in from the sea beforenit was getting awfully hot. And all the insects that lived nearby and liked human blood threw themselves at me. Horseflies were worst. The not only land on you while you walk, they can also bite through fabric and are generally just a pain in the backside.
My feet were hurting but had to go on. A herd of very curious cows made me smile as they rushed to the barbwire that was the  boundary of their territory just to have a look at who was walking there.  And I met the guy again that was staying at the same camping ground I stayed last night. I drove by in his car and stopped to say hello. Haha, third time now. Wonder if I see him again tomorrow.
Eventually that tedious road section ended and the path led me to the beach of Whistling Sands. The campsite lady had said that there was a cafe and there was. Yeah. I was starving!  Had some chicken and stuffed two snickers in my backpack just in case.
The path now to the very end of the peninsula was easy to make out. Unfortunately there was still no view. A pitty. Some strenuous uphill parts got me sweating but I enjoyed the walk a lot. At the very end of the Llyn peninsula the view got better. The blue sky was back. Yeah!
As I was all alone it was really a very strange feeling. Like being at the end ofnthr world. There was nothing else to come now. In a very strange way a calming feeling. I enjoyed it a lot as well as the view of Bardsey Island close by.
Walked now on the south of the peninsula in perfect weather again and could see today's destination ahead.  Aberdaron. The view stretched as far as the distant peaks of Snowdonia.  Wow! It was too great to capture with my camera.
Walked another hour and a half until I reached Aberdaron. Parts of fhe path were overgrown with a thicket of grass,  nettle and thistle as high as a man. Argh.
Reached Aberdaron at 6:30 and went to one of the two campsites as I couldn't find a B&B with a free room and wss too weary to walk around town. The campsite is not overwhelming but it'll do. Had the biggest fish & chips portion I've ever seen at the hotel restaurant and went back to my tent at 9:30 exhausted. Did again more than I had initially planned. Dunno where I'll go tomorrow then. My planned campsite is way to close and the next bigger town is probably too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.