Tuesday 17 June 2014

Proper Hiking

After almost a whole day on tarmac I hoped that the path would lead me off road today. Having a look at my face in the mirror this morning I realized I had probably put the sunblock on too late yesterday.  Two or three hours too late,  haha. I had been enjoying the weather so much that I kind of forgot all about it. That also explained the weird pain I had felt on my shoulders during the night. I was porperly burned. Ouch. Something like that doesn't happen very often to me. Last time I remember was in my final year at school.
The sun was already shining when I set off around 9:30. Despite sunblock it felt quite uncomfortable. Went a bit along the road but soon was led onto a smaller one and not long after into a nature reserve right at the coast. Finally a propper path!
Some grey clouds hid the sun and for the first time in my life I was happy about it. Still the views of the coastline were stunning. Near Trefor I climbed a pass between two hills, the view behind me getting better and better. Took a short break halfway up changing into a long shirt which was a very good idea since the sun was shining from now on from a bright blue sky all day long. Wow!
With a backpack of maybe 17kg I was soon out of breath and had to think of my upcoming Kilimanjaro hike. I need to work lut much more! My thoughts strayed to various expeditions like Denali where there are no porters and everyone in the team has to carry 25kg plus pull a 25kg sledge. Arg. My respect for all who had seen the top grew imensely as I was ploughing on. Reached the pass and was rewared by a stunning view of then next bay. Sun, sea and a bit of rock... heaven!!! Was immediately reminded of Sardinia.
Happily walked down to a carpark and to some kind of artificial village that was built at the site of a former quarry. The steep tarmac road down there was poison for my knees. Arg. Had a cappuccino and some Welsh cakes (Pretty much like flat scones. They're even served with butter.) before  I walked on. The path wound its way along the hillside through thick fern that I was reluctant to touch with my bare legs knowing that this is tick territory.
The path was going more up than down and I was soon huffing and puffing again but having a good time. Had a short break at a small church near a road before taking on the last few kilometers to today's destination Nefyn. I had a campsite there in mind but would rather stay in a B&B just to relax and have food somewhere. Fired up my phone to check for pubs and found the Cliff Inn just a few yards off the Llyn Coast Path. The walking on tarmac all day yesterday was taking its toll as my feet were hurting badly by now.
It was almost 5pm when I arrived there, asked for a room but they were full. Was referred to a B&B nearby and the lovely lady of the house took me in and gave me a room. After a nap and a very welcome shower I headed back to the Cliff Inn for food. I was starving! The walk today had been equally long as the one yesterday but more exhausting. Since it was the only pub in town I didn't have much of a choice and reviews on the net were good and bad. Fact is, I had a very very good steak with loads of veg. Washed it down with two pints of Scrumpy Jack as I was typing this, watching some Wold Cup footage on tv.
Heading back to my B&B after to upload my post. Looking at the map, tomorow's stage is a bit shorter going to Penrallt campsite and almost all of the path is right at the coast. Sounds like a lovely day again! If it wasn't for that burnt skin on my arms, haha. Me being happy for some clouds... that's a new thing! If this weather stays for at least a week I'll look like a chocolate muffin when I'm back. Although I'm more a raspberry one right now, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.