Saturday 14 June 2014

Easy Start

Arg. Had to write all of this again since he blogger app hung up at publishing. So this is going to bea bit shorter. Sorry.

Had a nice breakfast at my B&B and only one thing to settle. Where park my car for the next two weeks? I just asked the owners if they knew a good spot and they offered to just leave it at one of their lots. Yeah, once again asking politely had the best possible outcome! I knew this practice from my Ireland trip last year. Still I was most grateful, handed over the keys just in case the car had to be moved and set off to have a closer look at Conwy castle. It's impressive height and size is even more impressive when you stand in the inner courtyard and look up to those massive towers. Felt a bit like standing in the middle of half a dozen skyscrapers. What must it have been like for the people of the 13th century? Intimidating to say the least.
The weather was absolutely fantastic. I wore nothing but shorts and a tank top. That's a first time on the British Isles!
Just before midday I took the bus to Bangor but somehow missed the castle which is a bit outside. Thought it was nearer to the town itself and thus didn't get of the bus when a castle was announced.
Walked around the city centre of Bangor but it was only shops and boring so after a coffee break I took the next bus to Caernarfon. What a difference! Again that impressive massive castle looming over the town. Edward I surely knew how to intimidate the Welsh.
Headed for those walls straight away and spent a long time inside. In liu with my mood the weather had changed from bright and sunny in Conwy to cloudy colder in Bangor, to sunny and warm in Caernarfon again. Haha.
I climbed all of the half a dozen towers and the view towards the first hills of Snowdonia was breathtaking!  I could almost feel tears of joy dwelling in my eyes. Had a break in the bright early afternoon sun since climbing all those towers gave me a good taste of what is was going to be like heaving my backpack over the highest Welsh mountains ina few days time.
Went over to the campsite,  pitched my tent and back to the Castle Square to have a plate of fish & chips outside. As I was watching people pass by I realized that indeed people up here speak Welsh. Even the very young ones. I really loved it! Listening to an alien tongue knowing that people preserve their culture even after centuries of occupation and oppression.
Walked around for a bit and just sat down at the waterfront for a long time enjoying the early evening sun befor heading over to Black Boy Inn for a pint or two.
This pub/B&B ranks high on any kind of travel guide or internet portal so I had to give it a go. Indeed very nice. Had two pints so not really able to have a say about the kitchen but I liked the atmosphere although the premise is quite big and a bit hectic. They serve breakfast from 8am so his will be my first stop tomorrow morning getting some bacon, egg and sausage into my body to see me through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.