Sunday 28 May 2017

Acclimatisation by Sightseeing

This is the plan, let's turn it upside down. Instead of Little India and then my first training session, I spent the whole day sightseeing. Marina Bay, Central Business District, Chinatown, Gardens by the Bay and Fort Canning Park. I canned my first plan simply because I didn't fancy lugging my kit bag around with me all day and also didn't want to spend an hour going to fetch it from the house. So I rather stayed out all day walking over 27,000 steps according to my watch. not bad.

After a lazy morning I went to a small cafe around the corner and couldn't not have a thai chicken curry pie with my cappuccino. And it was pretty darn good. Nice start to the day. Went back to the house to get my kit bag and changed my plans as mentioned above when I slung it over my shoulder. No way I'm gonna drag this through busy markets.
30 minutes to City Hall via MRT from the house and off I went around Marina Bay with the CBD (Central Business District) skyscrapers looming on the other side. Lovely views and fairly busy, but never too much.

CBD

Over a footbridge and onto the other side I walked, straight into the air conditioned halls of Marina Bay Sands shopping mall. I have to say, today I grew quite fond of walking into and through shopping centres just for some fresh cool air every now and then. A very nice shopping mall this one was. With a DC Super Heroes Cafe!!! All cup cakes, burgers, drinks, cakes etc. in super hero styling. Very cool I have to say. Not my type of food, but I may give it a go if I have some money left at the end of my trip.

The Super Hero Cafe. How awesome!!!

That's how Singapore does shopping malls
Straight into the midst of the skyscrapers I went. It was very quiet on a Sunday but is probably mental around lunch time during the week.

Skyscrapers scraping the sky. Sort of.
Into Chinatown next with its large outdoor street market full of food and touristy stuff. Bought a nice Singapore themed tank top which I later found out fits me like a glove... at size small.
Just wandered along the stalls soaking in the chilled atmosphere. 
Over to Ann Siang Hill next. Lots of European themed bars and restaurants there. I bet it's busy here at night. The biggest one a british pub with real ales and breakfast fry ups. Hm. Looked nice, but no. Up on the hill I had a break in the shade of some tree outside P.S. Cafe. Had planned to go inside, but was neither hungry nor in the mood for a coffee. Weird what the heat does to you, eh?

Bustling Chinatown

A British Pub
Took the MRT back to the bayfront and entered the Gardens at the Bay. Of course it was busy on a Sunday, but I didn't mind. Often enough I was all alone when I wandered off the main paths and it's totally worth doing that anyway. 
Still, the main attraction - and rightly so - are the Super Trees. Simply wow!!! No photo can do them justice and I have to come back one evening just to see them alight. Interestingly, they power the park's watering system as well as all the IT in the main office just from the sunlight they collect. 

Definitely Super Trees
The park has it's own Hawker Centre called "Satay by the Bay". With mostly Chinese food stalls, I went for the obvious satay ones. Would've been rude not to. Plus, I LOVE satay! And I wasn't disappointed. Awesome chicken and mutton satay skewers for me. Easily the best I ever had! Especially the mutton ones were delicious!


Once more I walked along the water front all the way back to the City Hall MRT station and from there to Fort Canning Park to round up a great day. This seems to be the place for groups of young people to hang out. Lots of them at the foot of the hill the park is on. Most with music or a guitar player singing cheesy asian tunes.
Very nice park indeed, but I was getting quite tired now, so headed back after a great day. Got myself a cold lemon/lime green tee at the train station. It was nice and cold, but it just tasted way too artificial. Think I'll stay away from this stuff unless it's 100% fruit juice.

Back at the house around 7:30pm after a long but fabulous day. Really like it so far. Even in the busy places it's all very relaxed and chilled. I'm now aiming to divide my days. A few training days in a row with 2-3 sessions and only food nearby in between sessions. Then sightseeing days with no training at all. This way I don't have to lug my kit bag around and still get to see stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.